If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Best ever Trent angler

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Best ever Trent angler

Unread post by joffmiester »

Not forgetting Roy Henson
NoCarpPlease
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Best ever Trent angler

Unread post by NoCarpPlease »

Colin Walton has been winning on the river for an awfully long time ........
Mark Wintle
Match Team/ Club: Barclays Bank AA

Best ever Trent angler

Unread post by Mark Wintle »

Of an earlier era but was widely regarded as one of the very best best on the Trent - Jim Sharpe.
wagglerman
Match Team/ Club: ferry bridge
Sponsor: self

Best ever Trent angler

Unread post by wagglerman »

Of an earlier era but was widely regarded as one of the very best best on the Trent - Jim Sharpe.

Yes he was a master of the center pin ! :tiphat
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Best ever Trent angler

Unread post by bill yards »

Not too sure on this but didn't Jim Sharpe design the very famous range of floats called Trentcasters.

You bought these floats from an equally famous tackle shop in Nottingham call Tom Watson's, - apparently the only shop you could get them from. Jim Sharpe may have lived at Newark (again not sure) but definitely frequented Tom Watson's. The shop had some archways in front of it.

The Trentcasters were by a mile the best stick floats money could buy (I still have two or three of them) even so for maximum balance you had to cut a bit of the balsa off them then repaint them. :thumsup
Steveswindon

Best ever Trent angler

Unread post by Steveswindon »

Cheers Mark, enjoyed reading that article again!
wagglerman

Best ever Trent angler

Not too sure on this but didn't Jim Sharpe design the very famous range of floats called Trentcasters.

You bought these floats from an equally famous tackle shop in Nottingham call Tom Watson's, - apparently the only shop you could get them from. Jim Sharpe may have lived at Newark (again not sure) but definitely frequented Tom Watson's. The shop had some archways in front of it.

The Trentcasters were by a mile the best stick floats money could buy (I still have two or three of them) even so for maximum balance you had to cut a bit of the balsa off them then repaint them. :thumsup

Interesting Bill I remember Tom Watsons shop for getting good sticks from and all the photos I saw of Jim Sharpe were of him fishing the wheel and I think he was linked with Newark
and there was another club called Nottingham Piscatorials
:tiphat :tiphat
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Best ever Trent angler

Glad someone can remember Tom Watson's!

There was another Newark based angler that won scores of matches on the Trent around the same time as Jim Sharpe.
It was George Robinson, - at the time he won matches on the Trent with huge catches. 20 lbs was massive in those days; George was the top 'hemp' man for years, - he really understood the bait. When he won it was generally by the proverbial distance.

Around 1970 there was another Newark angler who had three or four amazing years on the Trent. It was Mac Willis who won sh!t loads of matches on tares. He even grew his own tares. I well remember the press claiming he would not catch a single fish on tares in the Severn National of 1971 after all it was a bait nobody used on the Severn, the fish were not used it!
He won G section at Bewdley with 18 lb 12 oz and caught loads of roach including a lot on tares! There was over 100 in each section on the National. :thumsup
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Best ever Trent angler

Notts Piscatorials are a club that have never been too 'press friendly' for their own reasons. There are still a few of these about - mind you they change side when they want members!
Notts Piscatorials have the day ticket stretch at Rolleston, not far from Newark. Been there quite a bit; you used to get your day ticket from the Post Office, - I think you still can. Last time I went it was two shillings!!!
Everything was two bob in those days!!!!!!! :tiphat
wagglerman

Best ever Trent angler

Glad someone can remember Tom Watson's!

There was another Newark based angler that won scores of matches on the Trent around the same time as Jim Sharpe.
It was George Robinson, - at the time he won matches on the Trent with huge catches. 20 lbs was massive in those days; George was the top 'hemp' man for years, - he really understood the bait. When he won it was generally by the proverbial distance.

Around 1970 there was another Newark angler who had three or four amazing years on the Trent. It was Mac Willis who won sh!t loads of matches on tares. He even grew his own tares. I well remember the press claiming he would not catch a single fish on tares in the Severn National of 1971 after all it was a bait nobody used on the Severn, the fish were not used it!
He won G section at Bewdley with 18 lb 12 oz and caught loads of roach including a lot on tares! There was over 100 in each section on the National.  :thumsup

anglers used to dress differently too in them days , a lot of top anglers would be seen wearing tweed sports jackets and trilby hats :thumsup
Moulty
Match Team/ Club: Nottingham anglers
Sponsor: John toulson

Re: Best ever Trent angler

Unread post by Moulty »

wagglerman wrote: September 15th, 2014, 8:04 pm this is a tough one as there are so many legends of the River
Benny and Kevin ,Frank Barlow, John Dean , John Allerton , Pete Warren , Wayne Swinscoe, Pete Palmer , Johnny Moult , Don Slaymaker, Roy Toulson , Johnny Toulson ,Dave Thomas , Tony Scott ,to name a few . :tiphat
I might be biased but I'm the son of John moult and always went with him fishing everywhere and always amazed me how he could pick a peg and produce so many fish out of it remember he had a special grounbait mix but wouldnt even tell me what was in it I new had castors and hemp but a few ingredients wouldn't divulge but my Dad was a great angler I've got loads of his winning medals and get them out occasionally to remember him.