If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Southend Farm, Damsel Lake; 3rd Oct 2020

Marsh Results and Reports.

Moderator: Spamwham

Spamwham
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Southend Farm, Damsel Lake; 3rd Oct 2020

Unread post by Spamwham »

Just seven fished today which was rather disappointing. If I'm not mistaken thats our lowest ever turnout. So looking forward to seeing everyone at our final match of the season at Aarons Lake in 2 weeks time. Thankyou to those who did make it today as the weather was seriously wet to start with, although it improved through the match.
Damsel Lake is a new one for us, booked at the last minute out of necessity as Peartree, where we should have been, was closed due to leakage repairs. As a mixed lake I think it fished fairly well today - everyone had a worthwhile silvers net plus the odd carp or two. Our two framers today were the ones who found quite a few more carp - Mick winning it with 72lb just pipping our Guest Vic by 4oz!. Well done fellas.
John had the best silvers net; 37-08lb. The average silvers net today was about 22lb.

Result:
1. Mick peg 5; 72-00lb
2. Vic peg 6; 71-12lb
3. John peg 7; 48-00lb
4. Tony R peg 8; 32-12lb
5. Keith peg 1; 27-12lb
6. Dave Peg 4; 27-04lb
7. Jim peg 3; 22-04lb

Given the limited numbers we paid 1st & 2nd today - Mick £9; Vic £5
john_holdsworth
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Re: Southend Farm, Damsel Lake; 3rd Oct 2020

Unread post by john_holdsworth »

Fantastic day, 92 silvers mainly bream some nice roach and perch, size 16 hook fishing on the bottom one spot all day
14 bream in first hour plus a bonus of 2 carp for 10lb
Well done to Mick and Vic
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Unread post by keith »

Thoroughly enjoyed the match. Surprised there were no carp in that little bay but hey ho. Went for skimmers and caught them. Well done to Mick and Vic, God that hurts saying that :facepalm . Perhaps we should have a silver's only match next year, we are not getting younger and lifting those big nets of carp is becoming harder. :fistycuffs
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Unread post by keith »

As a result of some repairs or maintenance work at Hartleylands Farm, we needed to change our match at the last minute. Southend Farm came up trumps and gave us use of Damsel Lake. 17 pegs and can be a bit tight if all the pegs were in, but it was a lot closer to Milton Keynes and somewhere I like, a good head of skimmers which in turn give lots of bites, a decent amount of carp to give the elastic a good stretch.

It was close enough for Mick to attend and resurrect the MK Nugget match. Vic also requested to fish and as numbers were on the low side for this match, he was welcomed back. Meeting up at Micks at 0630 we took a nice steady run down to Waltham Abbey to the lakes. A little after 0730 and we were parked in the car park and both Mick and Vic were ordering their bacon sandwiches from the site cafe. John was already sat in the cafe and after a quick chat we drove round the corner to the lake car park. Soon after Dave, Tony and Jim arrived with tales of woe on the M25 which must have occurred just after we passed.

A chat with a few locals ensued about methods and peg numbers to use, with Vic and Tony using this info to peg out our match, knock up, gathering, call it what you like. We had 7 anglers who were going to brave the elements, winter is on its way, loads of rain and a bit of a breeze which could turn nasty at any time. Unfortunately 3 of the pegs, the better pegs according to local info, were down a set of steps or a steep slope. I ruled this out as A. I would struggle getting my tackle to the peg and back out, B. very little room to move around. If I drew one of these pegs I would fish somewhere else. Dave and Mick drew the car park bank leaving me with a choice of pegs 1 or 2. Into the draw bag and peg 1 sticks to my paw and I was grateful not to have to choose a peg from the rest of the lake. Jim on 2, Dave 3 and Mick 4. Vic, John and Tony were on the awkward pegs but at least they would have a days fishing.

On arrival at my peg I felt I had too many options, I was tucked away in a small arm, 16m across to the far bank, 14m to a set of reeds, two good looking edges but unable to go long down them plus the obligatory short lines. I had cut a couple of tins of meat (8mm) and opened a tin of corn, a mixture of hard pellets both for feed and hookers, along with around a pint of turning maggots.

I decided to start off on meat at 5m in around 5ft of water, using one of my own .4g diamonds to a size 14 kkmb hook and using the new dura elastic for the first time. A feeding a few cubes of meat and around 20 4mm pellets, a skimmer around 10 ounces graced the net then nothing. a switch to maggot saw a procession of small perch and blade roach. With the rain slowing and becoming more showers, I was able to have a look across, both at 14m to the reed bed and 16m to the far bank. Both lines only gave up a couple of small skimmers around 4oz apiece so I came back to the nearer lines where the stamp of fish were slightly bigger and the catch rate similar( why struggle when you don't have to).

John was catching well from the middle of the 3 awkward pegs, plenty of skimmers, roach and an odd carp. Tony was also catching well with a slightly smaller stamp of fish to John, but was catching regularly. Vic I could not see through the trees but his landing net was visible going back and forth. Mick was catching carp as he does from his close lines and any hopes of me getting an MK Nugget off him were disappearing fast. Dave nicked a couple of carp and a few skimmers, with Jim like me carp less.

By rotating all my lines, I managed to keep a few fish coming throughout the day. I had a carp with around 20 minutes to go which went nearly 7lb and was quite pleased how the Dura elastic coped with it. My weight of 27-12 was never going frame but I did learn a few lessons.

Overall

Mick Wright 72-00
Vic Nugent 71-12
John Holdworth 48-00
Tony Roberts 32-12
Keith Ashby 27-12
Dave Collier 27-04
Jim Boase 22-04
John had the best silvers net with 92 silvers for 37lb Well done to both Mick and Vic on the frame places.

Mick 2
Keith 3

Next up for me is a couple of pleasure sessions with Vic and Pete in Somerset/Devon followed by the last match of the Marsh AC season at Arrans.
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
Spamwham
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

keith wrote: October 4th, 2020, 12:29 pm Perhaps we should have a silver's only match next year, we are not getting younger and lifting those big nets of carp is becoming harder.
Interestingly enough, Keith, the match on the main lake yesterday was silvers only :thumsup
Spamwham
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Out of interest, here is yesterdays match result as a silvers only:
1. John 37-08
2. Vic 24-04
3. Tony R 24-00
4. Jim 22-04
5. Keith 21-00
6. Mick 20-08
7. Dave 9-12

One thing's quite clear - its a close run thing for the most part. So you've got to keeping them coming right up to the whistle and avoid the carp in the last hour.
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Well even though it was wet and that didn’t help the arthritis I thought we had a reasonable day. I don’t know how the lake would have fished with our usual 12 or more fishing.
It would certainly give us another venue if booked for the warmer weather as someone suggested yesterday when it might cope with more anglers better. We could then have one match on the main lake and one on Damsel.