If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Slough House, 19th October 2019

Marsh Results and Reports.

Moderator: Spamwham

Spamwham
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Slough House, 19th October 2019

Unread post by Spamwham »

And so to the final match of our season and a new venue for us - Slough House. With a reputation for large carp and catfish in the summer and more importantly for this match a growing reputation for decent late season and winter silvers bags; sadly today was pretty disappointing. The hoped for bream bags and bonus carp/cats failed to materialise for most. 13 fished in pleasant Autumn conditions after all the recent rain and today's winner was Simon with 25lb of bream and skimmers caught mostly at distance; Simon found a few more bream while others had more in the way of small skimmers (if any). Second with 22lb was Chris W with again bream and skimmers - both pole and feeder caught. Third was John with 16lb again finding just a couple more bream to set his weight apart. For the rest of us, despite trying all manner of baits and swims - well it was just plain hard going as you can see.

Result:
1. Simon peg 13, 25-04lb
2. Chris W peg 1, 22-08lb
3. John peg 15, 16-08lb
4. Tony R peg 5 11-00lb
5. Mark peg 14, 10-08lb
6. Tony W peg 11, 9-12lb
7. Keith peg 4, 9-00lb
8. Dave peg 2, 8-08lb
9. Mick peg 8, 3-12lb
10. Josh, peg 7, 1-12lb
11. Terry peg 10, 0-4lb
12= Gino DNW
12= Chris T DNW

Sections: 1-5 Chris W, 6-9 Mick, 10-15 Simon

Well speaking personally I think its been another very enjoyable season - the weights have definitely beeen down, but not the overall standard of angling which I think has improved again. Sure there have been disappointments, but almost everyone has shown they can put together a good bag capable of framing. Marsh remains the friendly and easy going club it always was, and this years newmembers have fitted in well and certainly added to the competition. Above all my personal thanks to everyone for your great company and and of course the banter. Long may it continue.
Looking forward to seeing you all next year.
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Re: Slough House, 19th October 2019

Unread post by SiDev »

I really enjoyed yesterday as I felt I got the beat I could out of a peg for a change and made some good decision s on bait and tactics...all a bit late in the day :rofl well done all for a great season with all the new faces bringing a freshness to the club and a certain competitiveness for some :whistle thanks as ever to Dave and Tony for their effort and commitment in making it all happen. Looking forward to next year already...questions already in my head...will my box survive the winter...? What new gear will Gino have? What new venues can we f’’k up? .....roll on next year !
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Unread post by keith »

With the seasons changing from Summer to Autumn, it reminds me that the Marsh AC season slowly comes to an end. Our matches run from March through to October, it will not stop me from going out and pleasure fishing or fishing any opens I fancy though.

Our last match of the season was a bit of an unknown for a lot of us. Slough House Lake near Thurrock. It is reported there are numerous specimen carp and catfish present, along with plenty of bream, skimmers and roach. We could not find a lot of information on the matches, but it seemed to mainly be an odd carp with lots of silvers as a back up.

I had arranged to pick Mick up at 0600 and a nice steady drive to Junction 27 of the M25. However, a lorry driving into a car put paid to that, with everyone having to feed into two lanes to get by. Twenty minutes later, and we were through. Pulling into the only cafe (Puddledock Farm Fishery)we knew that was open, we were greeted by Simon and Gino, always early and awaiting there food.

With a couple of full English's devoured we were back on the road for the 5 minute journey to Slough House. We were a little late arriving, but there was still room in the overflow car park.

Gear unloaded, pools money paid and a slow walk to the pegs. on first impressions the lake looked nice and established, it reminded me of some of the venues I fished as a youngster.

I had drawn peg 4, it did not mean anything to me, but it looked alright, plenty of room, a bit of shadow cast across the lake and a decent depth. Mick had walked past me, towards his peg 8, a little further along the bank. Again Mick's peg looked good from above the water level, who knows what it looked like underneath.

I had come with a plan to target the silver stocks and forget about the carp. I have fished specimen carp lakes before and to be fair at this time of year it was very hit and miss. I would much sooner see the float go under regularly. With this in mind I had some micros, 4mm hard and soft pellets and a couple of pints of maggots. Enough groundbait to make up a couple of balls and a bit of loose feed.

I planned to fish two lines at 10 and 2 o'clock at 11m, nice and comfortable. The depth did not vary, so I made up a couple of .4g MW Diamonds and shotted one with a bulk of no8 stotz with a couple of no9 droppers, the other with a more strung out shotting with a slower fall through the water. These were .16 to .13 hooklength and a size 16 KKMB hook. Both coupled to white hydro.

My other lines were at 6m, again 10 and 2 o'clock. Again MW Diamonds .5g to cover the 6ft depth and a heavier line and hooklength's .19 to .15 to a size 16 B911F1 hook. This time elastic was a yellow hollow from KND.

A couple of balls of groundbait were shipped out to 11m 2 o'clock at the all in, containing around 100 maggots and a few 4mm pellets. The other long line received half a pot of micros with a pinch of maggots. I started off at 6m and promptly lost the first rig in an unseen snag to the left, leaving me to replace the rig and re-plumb the depth. Nothing for the first 10 minutes to the left. I switched to the right 6m swim and had a small skimmer, around 4 ounces. Out again and nothing on 4mm pellets, I swapped over to a couple of red maggots and another 4 ounce skimmer, a couple of blade roach followed, but i needed to keep swapping and changing bats to keep small fish coming.

Tony Roberts on the next peg 5, had sneaked in a good 2lb skimmer and was well in front of me. Dave on peg 2 had a couple of small skimmers and a few blades, similar to me. Chris W was nicking a few on the pole and GB feeder. League leaders, Chris T and Josh were both targeting the carp and although none had come to their nets. Mick was struggling so there was hope of a rare MK Nugget for me. Simon and John were leading the way with good weights of bream and skimmers from further up the lake on pegs 13 and 15.

Sticking at it, I moved out 11m, re-feeding another couple of balls of GB to the right hand line and another half pot of micros to the left. I adopted a catch anything approach, as I was getting odd bites but nothing regularly, Slowly I was putting small skimmers and odd blades in to the net over the micro line. Hoping to get a few larger skimmers I started pinging a few 4mm sinkers. This had the effect of keeping a few fish in the peg but had drawn a few roach higher up in the water and lightning bites were a problem to hit at times. A couple of better fish came to the net but with each better fish Tony had one as well, I think that first 2lb fish he had on meat was the decider.

Chris was now catching well on the tip and pole feeding small balls of GB and fishing maggot on the hook. Simon was slowing down. Chris T and Josh were still bite less from carp, although Josh had nicked a few silvers to save face and avoid the blank. Terry was in the same boat, doing his best to avoid the fish. Mick was still struggling with a couple of small skimmers and a solitary roach.

Chris W Exhausted but a fine net of Skimmers

At the all out I sat thinking about the day, groundbait did not work, best bait was maggot and the day was a real struggle for everyone. When someone of Chris T's ability blanks you know the carp have shut up shop, he had already won the league, so i suppose why not try for carp.

Overall

1st Simon Watkins 25-04

2nd Chris Withall 22-08

3rd John Holdsworth 16-08

4th Tony Roberts 11-00

5th Mark Fox 10-08

6th Tony Watkins 9-12

My weight of 9lb came in seventh, and was enough to take a MK Nugget off Mick,who had really struggled with 3lb 12oz.

Well done to the framers and section winners, Simon, Chris W and believe it or not Mick.

Well that's the end of another Marsh AC season. Some new faces have settled in well and have been welcomed by us older faces. On a personal note I feel I have not performed well at all this season and this is reflected in my results. Poor preparation and not enough time have contributed to it and both will be addressed over the winter.

New challenges face us in the Spring and I am sure there will be plenty of new venues, mixed in with our regular haunts to keep us going.

Well done to Chris T on winning the league and setting some impressive weights along the way. Finally a big Thank You to Dave and Tony for booking matches, running them, taking the money and generally making our lives a lot easier.
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
naughtycockney
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by naughtycockney »

Well that was not the end of the season I expected. Two of the worst fishing sessions to finish the season, but a bad days fishing still beats a day at work.
Overall a really good season for me where I thought I improve my fishing technique, a few good results and a few more nuggets won, but as usual gave more away!!!!!!
Good to see new members joining with the same theme in mind, good to fish and win, but better to fish with great company and banter and enjoy the day.
A season with no new kit, very unlike me and will be remedied next year!!!!!!!
Thanks for the company people and see you all next year :tiphat :D