If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Hartleylands Farm Reservoir 6th Oct 2018

Marsh Results and Reports.

Moderator: Spamwham

Spamwham
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Hartleylands Farm Reservoir 6th Oct 2018

Unread post by Spamwham »

15 fished today - it started misty, but a cold northerly wind soon got going, and it was mostly wet throughout. The lake nevertheless provided pretty steady sport for quite a few, with the usual selection of proper carp, and some decent silvers catches thrown in for good measure.
Todays winner was regular guest Jim Etherington - they say you need to do something a bit different to get ahead of the crowd, and that was certainly true of Jim today fishing a bomb with bread punch - not too far out - and catching steadily throughout the match. Second was Mick who must have breathed a sigh of relief at winning the Milton Keynes £ for the first time in a while after Keith's strong run. Third was John with another solid performance on the maggot. The framers were also our section winners today. Well done fellas.

Result:
1. Jim E (guest), peg 13, 108-00lb
2. Mick, peg 9, 100-08lb
3. John, peg 4, 91-00lb
4. Simon, peg 2, 83-00lb
5. Keith, peg 16, 72-12lb
6. Jim, peg 7, 70-00lb
7. Chris, peg 8, 56-00lb
8. Gino, peg 18, 55-04lb
9. Terry, peg 3, 52-00lb
10. Clive, peg 5, 48-08lb
11. Tony R, peg 14, 44-08lb
12. Dave, peg 12, 38-04lb
13. Garry (guest), peg 6, 23-08lb
14. Roger (guest), peg 11, 18-00lb
15. Rod, peg 17, 2-04lb
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Re: Hartleylands Farm Reservoir 6th Oct 2018

Unread post by keith »

The Marsh AC season of club matches are coming to an end, the weather is starting to turn and with the dark nights getting earlier and earlier, it is starting to feel wintry. Today's match was at Hartleylands Reservoir at Cranbrook, Kent and with that means an early start. Mick picked me up at 0500 for the two and a half hour trip to the venue, although it does mean we get to sample the delights of the Knoxbridge Cafe. After Alders Farm, one of the best breakfasts I have had the pleasure to devour.

As I said earlier the nights are drawing in and although we could still maintain our six hour matches, it is very much dependant on the fishery. After speaking with the bailiff to confirm all the rules we were happy. Scales for the larger fish were scattered around the lake, hooking mats for those that required them, no need for a mid match weigh in as we were showing "a level of responsibility" with our plans.It does the club proud the fact that fisheries will welcome us back each year knowing that the fishery and its rules will be respected throughout our stay.

A good turnout (15) today for the reservoir match saw Mick pushing his way to the front of the queue whilst I was holding back and letting every one else go in first. One day a flyer will be left in the bag for me.

Mick with his secret ingredients.

But alas, Mick, Gino, Chris and Simon occupied my perception of the better pegs. I decided that the Reverend Tony Roberts was a danger man, not to the fish but to himself, he had drawn the same peg as last year where he struggled his way to 40lb. Someone said he had brought a rope with him and with plenty of trees surrounding the lake, I made sure to fish a line where I could see him.

Terry ready for the off

Gino was going well with a couple of weighers but he felt the Simon was emptying the lake opposite him on peg 1. I could see Mick catching well, fishing the margins and the willow tree. Jim Etherington, a guest of the club was also catching well on the bomb with popped up bread over his pole lines.

I had been fishing top four lines for three hours and had around 30lb including some silvers and felt it was time for the edges, A look down to the left saw a couple of small roach and perch fall to 5 maggots on a size 14, the right hand edge, again started off with roach and perch before the float buried and a good common around 8lb was gracing my landing net. Feeding a pot of maggot after each fish and lifting and dropping a bait was working, I was picking off odd carp in amongst the roach and perch, the only downside being that time was running out.

At the all out I had nicked six fish from the edge for around another 30lb to add to the earlier 30lb and a few silvers.

Asking around, Tony was admitting to another 40lb weight, Gino was revelling in his 45lb weight and was planning on how he was going to spend his section winnings. I must admit I may have been responsible for this as I did tell him I had around 30lb, but watching a grown man fist pump a weight in fishing did make me laugh.

Still the scales do not lie, said weight watchers. Gino was first up and an impressive 55lb Rod had struggled all day to place a couple of pound onto the scales. I put 13 pound of silvers on the sheet before place 59lb of carp for a total of 72lb 12oz. Tony had left his rope in his bag and had worked hard for 44-08. Jim had down the business and walked the section with 108lb, a mix of bread caught bomb fish and a few on the pole. Dave was a bit hemmed in on his peg but still managed 38lb with Roger adding 18lb to the scales sheet.

Chris trendsetting again

On the other bank Mick was first to weigh in and placed a solid 100 - 04 on the board for the section win with Chris on the other side of the willow adding 56lb of waggler fish. Jim had caught well with a solid 70lb with Garry chipping in with a couple of weighers, already on the board and a few silvers for 23-05. Clive was in the corner and chipped in with 48lb before we got to John. Four fish on the board for 40lb plus 51lb in the net would see John leap into 3rd place. Terry weighed 52lb with Simon jumping into 4th place with 83lb of pole and waggler fish.

Simon on his way to 4th overall

Overall

1st Jim Etherington 108-00

2nd Mick Wright 100-04

3rd John Holdsworth 91-04

4th Simon Watkins 83-00

5th Keith Ashby 72-12

6th Jim Boase 70-08.

Well done to all the section Winners.

Overall, I went with a plan and felt that with better control on my part it would have worked better. I felt afterwards that potting maggots and feeding via a toss pot would have improved things, hindsight.

The longer line went as i expected really but perhaps more time trying to find a level area within the peg would have been better, rather than trying to get the float to sit right on the slope.

Mick had fished a good match from a good peg, but it was good to see him back to winning ways, even if it did cost me a MK Nugget.

Mick 6

Keith 10.
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Re: Hartleylands Farm Reservoir 6th Oct 2018

Unread post by SiDev »

Great read Keith as ever and well done Jim and Mick for the tonnes and John for taking the other section!!...Lost double figure fish cost me but I kept my calm about it ;D ;D ;D you would never have known I'd lost it!....enjoyed a bit of waggler although spasmodic it nicked me a few fish, my feeding is still shite!!. Felt they were there short too but I didn't fish it right or with enough conviction. However, really enjoyed some nice margin lumps with proper bites in the last 90 minutes and should have maybe visited a bit earlier as I felt I giot the feed spot on for the day with groundbait and dead maggs all potted in, no loose feed kept them tight.....so all in all a day but you had to work at it and make every bite count. All looks nicely set up for the last match !!