If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Alan MacAtee

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Alan MacAtee

Unread post by bill yards »

Former England International, Bolton based Alan MacAtee passed away during the night 8th/9th December. He fished for England in 1982 and 1983 in Newry and Holland respectively, he won his section in Holland.
He was a big man, all heart and great to talk to. He was a top class canal angler winning matches all over the North West Canal scene and many, many more, some years back in the Midlands.
He leaves a wife, children and grandchildren. His great friend Leon Green passed away not too long back.

The last time I saw Alan and Leon was not too long ago in the Division Three National, here at Stafford.

RIP and God bless.
Sluicer

Alan MacAtee

Unread post by Sluicer »

I was stood with Alan at the last match he fished, which was a Wigan & DAA cup match at Leyland Mill Lane (Haigh Hall) at Wigan, around two months ago.

While waiting for the draw to start, Alan Whalley, who is infamous around the North West for his own canal angling exploits, came up to Mr McAtee and said "Someone asked me the other day Mac - who were the greatest anglers I'd ever seen; and I told them you were one of em". For Alan to be so forthright, without loading it with the usual sarcastic sting in the tale was (I considered) a proper mark of respect, and I suspect a farewell as it was very apparent that Mac was ailing at that time.

We all knew, having seen Alan since his surgery a couple of years ago that he was struggling with his illness, but as soon as he was able he was back on the canal competing in matches and still picking money up. I wouldn't claim to have known him other than fishing with him a couple of times in a Bolton team in a winter league, exchanging pleasantries at matches and having the usual banter when pegged next to one-another, but he was held in high regard by those who fished alongside him; both those in the famous Izaacs team from Preston back in the day and also those down the years from across the North West in general who knew him and respected him for what he was - a top class angler.

Rest in peace Alan McAtee.