If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Hooklengths for running line

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
NoCarpPlease
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by NoCarpPlease »

It is a long time since I fished rivers so I don't know whether this little tit bit will help you superstars of today.
We were always told to get your float and end gear as high up in the water as you could on retrieve, It didn't matter if you used single or double maggot or caster. Looks a bit ungainly but it did work (no spin-ups) unless todays lines are that far removed from what they were. This is easier to do with a stick float.  :-X :-X :-X

This is what I do ..... Lift the rod tip up and have the waggler skipping across the surface. Seems to work.
Alternatively hook a fish every run through and you won't have the problem :D
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

This is what I do ..... Lift the rod tip up and have the waggler skipping across the surface.   Seems to work.

Totally by co-incidence.. I was doing this at the weekend skimming it across the top on the retieve or very close to it, to avoid sub-surface weed. It occurred to me that I wasn't having any line twist problems, from a long way downstream and could this be an answer ?
We were always told to get your float and end gear as high up in the water as you could on retrieve, It didn't matter if you used single or double maggot or caster. Looks a bit ungainly but it did work (no spin-ups)

I've not heard this before. Could have done with it years ago. Need to ask the right questions !
benb733
Match Team/ Club: Fosters Team Army
Sponsor: Fosters of Birmingham

Unread post by benb733 »

I agree with the rod high and crank it to reduce line spin, i also found that slightly larger loops on your hooklength can reduce the spin a bit. i use the little seymo loop gizmo thingy, small loop on pole rigs and the larger on running line.
Our of interest what diameter hook lengths are you using when you are suffering spin as I try to avoid anything less than 0.1mm unless I am really really struggling.
There is a fine line between fishing, and sitting there looking stupid!
Avoiding the Blank
Fosters Team Army