If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Drennan Acolyte pole

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
daveyboy

Drennan Acolyte pole

Unread post by daveyboy »

I am looking at buying an acolyte pole, all of my fishing is either canal or river ,no commies, Ive yet to hold  one, does anyone use an acolyte, if so what is your opinion of it,
Thanks
Dave
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Drennan Acolyte pole

Unread post by joffmiester »

Dave best advice is to get on the bank find someone using the of your choice and ask the questions . I'm always going to say Sensas as i've used them for the last 15 years i think the package is second to none plus all carry a Joker card if anything happens.like i say thats my opinion and No doubt you are going to get a lot of poles suggested on this topic . Sensas do have a New AND Totally new flagship pole coming out around October November and Sean Ashby quoted" this is something else just as you thought poles could'nt get any better "so it looks like its a winner .
Like i say get yourself on the bank and take a look at what you want . We are all up at Cudmore at the weekend Dave Sean has a stand if you fancy taking a look i'll be there Sunday :thumsup
craftytafty
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Drennan Acolyte pole

Unread post by craftytafty »

I,ve heard good things about thedrennan but only for silvers so you should be ok, like joff says tho have a go first, but I would also say changing makes isn't alwaysthe best thing for everyone.

I used a spectron for years, it was brilliant had carp to big doubles on it, took a right battering, but it just wore out eventually, most sections had wraps. I bought a Sensas 74XL but I wish I'd got another Daiwa and kept all my top kits which I,ve got only a few left now
I,ve broke a no3, 2 x no4's, a number 5, 2x 6's and a 7 on my sensas and it's only 9 months old.

I fish for silvers aswell as carp with it but I am getting scared to used it carping,

I broke a no 6 last week and with no spare had to fish with my margin pole at 7m.
can't afford a new section so i'll get it repaired.

might have to look at selling it in time dunno yet. I know loads of people use and like sensas cos they are good and the service is good etc but sometimes better the devil you know
daveyboy

Drennan Acolyte pole

I know what you mean about asking the anglers that use them, but I've been hanging on to my x5000, I was told the drennan was as good has the 5000,
Obviously I will have a look around, I might even wait and have a look at the new sensas when it comes out
Thanks for the replies lads
Have a good weekend
daveyboy

Drennan Acolyte pole

Well I picked up an acolyte yesterday, it's been elasticated, ready for the weekend
I knew as soon has I had one in my hands , strong , stiff. Well balanced, and small in diameter, with plenty of spares, will let you know how it handles on the bank in a couple of weeks
Paul_T

Drennan Acolyte pole

Unread post by Paul_T »

Hi Daveyboy, do you have an update on the Acolyte pole please?  Am thinking of buying one myself for canal & occassional river work.  Cheers!
daveyboy

Drennan Acolyte pole

Hi Paul, I bought the acolyte to replace a Colmic x5000 , which I thought could not be bettered, how wrong I was, the acolyte is slimmer, and more rigid, and stiffer, I've only used the pole at 13 and 14.5 mts, at which there is no droop whatsoever, it performs well in side winds as well, which you would expect though, (when I bought the pole I had it up at 16mt and it hardly drooped at that length)
You get an excellent package, ptfe bushes to cover all sizes of elastic, , two half sections that fit from 6 mts upwards, a strong cupping kit
I fish deep canals and rivers with the pole, the top two sections are the same length as most top three,s , if you fish shallow canals it be a problem.
The largest fish I've landed on it Paul is a 3lb 5 oz perch, obviously the pole handled it with no problems , but for roach and skimmers it's an ideal pole
If you require anymore info Paul, just let me know
crag

Drennan Acolyte pole

Unread post by crag »

I've had mine over 6 months now. I had a zircon before and the Acolyte is noticeably heavier but is a more heavy duty pole.
I don't do commies but have had tench to 9ib from quite a tight swim.
I haven't used it on the river yet so can't comment on that side of things. But as said above, not much droop and quick to respond on a strike
Paul_T

Drennan Acolyte pole

Unread post by Paul_T »

Thanks for the responses guys.