If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

WINTER LEAGUES BEST TIME OF THE YEAR

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

I love this time of year as everyone gets together for the annual winter league qualifying rounds most are 6 rounds and if you're lucky like the soar Valley winter league its still 10 man teams and all ten count [ 8 anglers in the final though] . This has got to be one of the biggests leagues in the country with nine teams of ten anglers and makes 6x 90 peg matches for all to enjoy. A lot of hard work has taken place behind the scenes ensuring that access is key to sections we have more than enough sections now on the river to swop and change if needed . We also have room now for at least 12 teams in the future and could of perhaps had ten teams this year if we had got the go a head for 10 man teams earlier . This league is successful for one reason local organizers have listened to what anglers need . as you know we are not getting any younger so access was key to get anglers back on naturals which is something of a success this year anyway .
Now time for a little gripe [its a little gripe it is] Angling Trust ! yes we have seen some improvements and i for one was a big critic of the trust with balance sheets and one thing of the other but its simple we need to work alongside them [but not be afraid to speak out if we are not happy]
At the winter league meeting earlier this week we got told that the final venues had been chosen [ great and thats what we asked for ] but i'm not quite sure if a massive amount of thought has gone into it i'm not jumping the gun here its just ive had a few phone calls about it. Lindholme and the stainy are the two weekend venues one on saturday and one on sunday with the runner up trophy being fished on the saturday at lindholme ????? i'm not sure if thats fair on the rest of the countries leagues .
We are not fishing the final because of the money its to win the the Trophy and become winter league champions , Angling is really trying to up its profile and 90% of the teams that make these finals will be the best in the country . These teams are capable of traveling as we have seen with Barnsley Starlets Shakespeare and Dorking to name a few . World club championships which can be in any part of Europe so why don't we consider taking the winter league final outside of the country say Ireland ,Holland ,Belgium or France this to me would encourage anglers to compete stronger to get the chance of a long weekend away . Yes i can hear its down to money well isn't everything there would be plenty of time to save up plus the teams would all be in the same boat when it comes to practice . i'm a big believer that what goes around comes around and all big finals were fished abroad Denmark , sweden and Ireland and i'm sure working with the trust this could be possible . I would really like to hear your views on this one if you put time and effort into something the rewards will start to come ...  :thumsup :thumsup
John Beesley
Match Team/ Club: Drennan Oxford

Unread post by John Beesley »

Could have predicted final venues as soon as new format announced. Hardly going to promote or revitalise wl south of Sheffield. Surely somewhere central could have been found, Barston and one of the midlands canals for instance.
I believe even Dorking have failed to find a league to fish in such is the state of the wl in the south.
Yes I believe something along the lines of a foreign final might be attractive but imagine how many of the angling trust would have to come along and organise it. LOL :cheer:
Ian_baker
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Matrix Dynamite Trentmen
Sponsor: Matrix, Dynamite

Unread post by Ian_baker »

Barston would of been ideal to suit all anglers.
John Beesley
Match Team/ Club: Drennan Oxford

Unread post by John Beesley »

I have been told today that Dorking are now going to fish the East Sussex winter league. It would have been a shame if they had not found a league
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Dorking would be more than wellcome to fish ours on the soar .. Just too much traveling :thumsup :thumsup
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Could have predicted final venues as soon as new format announced. Hardly going to promote or revitalise wl south of Sheffield. Surely somewhere central could have been found, Barston and one of the midlands canals for instance.
I believe even Dorking have failed to find a league to fish in such is the state of the wl in the south.
Yes I believe something along the lines of a foreign final might be attractive but imagine how many of the angling trust would have to come along and organise it. LOL :cheer:

Thats the part that would need sorting if Ireland was the choosen venue i'm sure there would be plenty of help from that side of the water :thumsup
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

I'd of thought this might of got a few responses As i think its great that you now know when and where the final is before the start . Just unsure after the weekend after talking to a few whether a lot of teams are bothered about getting to the final and the danger of that is some of these leagues might opt out of the Angling Trust and run their own league . straight away our league would benefit by the £630.00 OF ENTRANCE FEE'S which would be paid out say for the top two teams . Just food for thought and i'm not knocking the Trust as they are starting to listern and work along with the anglers
Ian_baker
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Matrix Dynamite Trentmen
Sponsor: Matrix, Dynamite

Unread post by Ian_baker »

I personally believe their are a lot of good venues within the Midlands that can host these finals. You have the soar, and the Trent both fishing very well with good access.Then you have venues like Barston which has been used for Cips matches which has proved a good mixed fishery that can cater for various methods.Finals would be more suitable in or as near to the centre of the country allowing teams to practice easier not forgetting the costs that can occur when you fish these finals. Though you can never please everyone at least they kept the winter league running I suppose.
I think team fishing has changed and I can forsee problems in the future with regards getting teams to committ to nationals due to the venues being used. I think the angling trust will need to think more about what people want and I personally think maybe having 3 nationals. One on rivers, one canals and one on commercials. This would suit every member of the angling trust and perhaps encourage more teams to enter. If teams wanted they could enter in all 3. At the end of the day they need to listen to its members.