If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

THE ROAD TO MUCKNO

Anyone can chat about anything non fishing related...
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

THE ROAD TO MUCKNO

Unread post by joffmiester »

As you know i had the pleasure of being asked to go back to Ireland by Tony Keeling . Its around 20 odd years since i last went back in the days when all the trouble made the headlines and not the angling. i've spent many years going to Holland and fell in love with the place and the people that go. So for me going back to Ireland was big decision i heard how good it was and how nice the surrounding area of Castleblayney was. So i took the chance to go with Tony and knew it was going to be a barrel of laughs. The lads in our party i hadn't met before but soon hit it off as though we had been friends all our lives. i Travelled with a fella call Mark Witton so i arranged to pick him up on my way through we just managed to get all our gear in the car. Tony was traveling with life time friend Terry Blythe and Terry would be Tony's partner in Crime in more ways than one .
Taking the fast cat mean't we would be able to fish in the afternoon and boy did it go :facepalm
As soon as we arrivied in Ireland it all came flooding back to me and that old question why had i left it so long before returning the sheer beauty of the countryside traveling through was simply breath taking . Tony and Terry were old hands at this crossing and before long we had arrived in castleblayney and what a busy town it was. I'd spotted a couple of pubs on route and wasn't alone as Terry and Tony had already planned the evening . first it was time to take a look at muckno and have a fish . With the road running around the lough we soon had our gear set up . i fished a waggler and the others fished pole it didnt start off too well but it was about getting into the groove and getting the rigs right . with the weather being so good my top 5 rigs were soon slashed to top 4s extra shot added if needed and so on .

we fished for a few hours as it stayed light until around 8pm by this time i could see Terry licking his lips . Tony had already dipped his bread as he wanted to get the bait sorted instead of fishing . Thats the first Irish tale as rumours soon started he'd been seen legging it down the high street to his favourite pub The Coachman :rofl :rofl
We soon followed after getting washed and changed

I've runout of time today so i'l carry on with part two later :thumsup
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

THE ROAD TO MUCKNO

Well after being introduced to some proper Guinness that night and introduced to Tony and Terrys Irish mates 3am came around all too soon . :cheers plus the live groups and bands were far from finished i must say if you lived in Ireland you wouldn't need a TV .

Again the morning soon came around yet another glorious day weather wise and a big FULL Irish breakfast we were ready for anything .

I always try and to make practice as simple as i can and after catching a few on the waggler i thought the feeder should be a method as that weekend it was the Muckno two day feeder match which we didn't go in . i must say i had no headache after countless Guinnesses the night before but feeder was a nice option for the day .
information we had gathered told us the fish weren't miles out anywhere from 25 to 35 turns which is a nice comfortable cast .
We needed to rule things out as quick as we could some of us using worm and some not to see if the difference showed.
on the whole it looked out and out caster and worm with little G/B as the hybrids loved the worm at the end of the session terry and myself had put together a decent weight

Tony and Mark had opted towards the whip catching loads of roach but a little on the smaller size . so we returned to here the feeder match hadn't fished that well so we were quite pleased needless to say we talked about over another few pints bearing this happened to be the second day without food in the evening :facepalm :facepalm one can't just live on breakfast and Guinness :facepalm still Tony being Tony he sorted a little bar snack for us all :thumsup :thumsup :thumsup than it was live music again until the early hours
Sunday would be our last practice day before the week long competition .we went over to church bank for the day and we all had chosen different methods Terry waggler Mark whip and waggler myself waggler and a small feeder over the top and Tony Pole and whip
we were joined by Rob Holt and sidekick mr Forester and i could tell these lads had been in Ireland before rob had emptied it on the pole as did mark and for the first time my thoughts had turned whether the waggler could play a part dont get me wrong we all had a net full of fish and i caught a few bream on the waggler terry had a roach every put in on the waggler and Tony and Mark had put together good weights on the pole and whip :D :D :D

Terry must of had 50 to 60lb all on the waggler

Mark had a good weight but noticable the hybrids wanted Groundbait and worms

Tony caught mostly on the whip and some on shortlining pole
yet Rob and Mark had caught loads fishing one line and feeding heavy and it was noticable

For me this was a sign the festival would fish better than anyone had thought and loads of bait would be needed for the start of the festival ...
fin
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: hull

THE ROAD TO MUCKNO

Unread post by fin »

Great reading Joff, just wish I was back there :'(
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

THE ROAD TO MUCKNO

Unread post by TK »

Great reading

Look forward to the next instalment :thumsup
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

THE ROAD TO MUCKNO

Fin your a star ready enjoyed your company i know the weather was good this year but can't wait to get back. just seems home from home with a great mix of lads well organisied . its hard to get back into our sort of fishing.Ive not seen any results yet from the festival ???
ps cocked up on a picture of Tony's net of fish :whistle Honestly he did catch loads and didn't spend all his time in the pub :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl just most of it
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

THE ROAD TO MUCKNO

Unread post by bill yards »

Fin/Joff

If you want to relive a few memories type in Kelle Redmond and she is singing on You tube. Her uncle Jerry Redmond (real good egg) is also singing and Mick McCarthy (the guitar man) is also on there. fantastic artists all three as well as Dermot, Ronnie and a few more. Some other brilliant singers etc also go in the Horseman.
How come so much talent can come from a small town with a population a little over 3,000?

:naughty
fin
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

THE ROAD TO MUCKNO

Unread post by fin »

Nice one Bill, just had a good look and seen them all singing, quality. Been changing my box back over ready for winter leagues and I really cant be arsed. My pal rung me and I sed that I wish I was back there so he told me it will soon be here again and not to wish my life away!! I know he's right but its such a special place that just grabs a hold of you.. Shannon's the next one in April so I suppose it ain't to long.. :thumsup
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

THE ROAD TO MUCKNO

Fin I've not been to Ireland for years yet the moment we landed I knew how much I'd missed it . The amount of old faces I saw that just don't go fishing in England anymore but never miss Ireland I can really understand that !! Although it's not fished quite as well this week the weights are very even !!!!
fin
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

THE ROAD TO MUCKNO

Unread post by fin »

Bill,Joff,

Just this minute booked my ferry for April, :thumsup :thumsup :thumsup :thumsup :thumsup :thumsup :thumsup. You guys coming along??? :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheerleader :cheerleader :cheerleader :cheerleader :cheerleader :cheerleader