If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Hemp

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hemp

Unread post by TK »

Does anyone still use the seed as a hook bait on the cuts these days?

If so, do you use it all year round or just during the summer months?

If you don’t use it, is that because it’s not suitable to the venue(s) you tend to fish, or do you consider it as ‘too selective a bait’

Have you stopped using it and why?
frank
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Hemp

Unread post by frank »

TK I still use it on the cut tho I dont fish them as often as I used to, always take some which ever cut Im on,you never now.
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Hemp

Unread post by Simple »

Tony there's a good writeup on seed fishing in the latest "Advanced Pole Fishing" Craig Butterfield on the Town Welland. Image
I know it s a river and not a cut but it still interesting :)
endpeg
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Hemp

Unread post by endpeg »

Paul Ross had three or four on hemp when he won the 4th round of the Warks WL at Burton on the Trent & Misery Canal. You'll find a lot of the Shroppy and Staffs-Worc canal men take hemp all through the year - espec at places like Norbury. I personally dont tend to bother with hemp after October as a caster picks up bonus fish without ignoring species like skimmers and perch.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hemp

Unread post by TK »

Cheers SS and Endpeg Image
I used to use it thoughout the winter (in club matches) on places like Little Onn (The woods/airfield) many moons ago when it used to be widely considered a 'summer' bait only.
This followed having been beaten off the next peg on the dreaded Curley Wyrley by the guy using it who had some clonking roach in the last hour. I became fixated for a short while with catching on the seed.
Last time I fished it with any sort of a vengance in a match was on the T&M on the church section at Rugeley a decade or so ago as a secondary line across. Thankfully the roach put a show on it after a couple of hours.
I can't remember really 'giving it a go' on the hook since although I often feed a few grains on some venues
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hemp

Unread post by Simple »

I will bring the mag next time were fishing. I know you ain't got no money for magazines as you spend it all on beer Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hemp

Unread post by TK »

Hey SS - I'll let you know I'm one of DHP's most faithful customers - which reminds me I've got to call in all those (Bi monthly as they were then) MF mags from the eighties that I've lent out :D

I personally dont tend to bother with hemp after October

Is that on the hook or as a feed/holding bait too Endpeg?
Woodhouse
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Tipton VDE

Hemp

Unread post by Woodhouse »

I use it on my waters in the summer, In my opinion it is a confidence bait.

look at anglers like Fred cheetham and Nigel Bull...they seem to catch on it every where they go and all year round.
brookie

Hemp

Unread post by brookie »

i fish hemp and tares on alot of waters when fish are finacky i will shell the hemp and just fish the kernal its like rat bag says its a confidence bait
fert

Hemp

Unread post by fert »

i find it good when the weathers warm never caught on it in winter
YAMO
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Hemp

Unread post by YAMO »

i find it good when the weathers warm never caught on it in winter

do you feed it heavy fert?
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Hemp

Unread post by MarkV »

I use it regularly in the summer months but havent tried it in winter.

Usually use just hemp, doesnt seem much need to bother with tares, although i sometimes take some. cant say ive noticed any improvement with them.

In my opinion it is an absolutely fabulous roach bait. Had plenty of skimmers, hybrids and chub with it too...and recntly ONE perch lol. Ive no idea why a perch took it !

I mainly use it in pools (non commercials) and rivers but did catch well a couple of times on a canal last year.

I have lots of confidence in it and its sooooo cheap. Got two sack fulls in my garage but I use hardly any when I fish it so I'll never get round to using it all.
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hemp

Unread post by Simple »

I use it on my bird table....the sparrows love it. :D
I use t in the summer to get the fish into the swim and thats it. That frenzied stuff seems to work for me.
Once the fish are there they seem to hold with normal feed.
Each to their own I suppose.
fert

Hemp

Unread post by fert »

i just feed a few grains every 5 minutes
AdSlade

Hemp

Unread post by AdSlade »

Had plenty of skimmers, hybrids and chub with it too...and recntly ONE perch lol. Ive no idea why a perch took it !

The first time i ever used it was over Dams and Locks last summer, first drop in on the hemp i had a perch 10oz, at the time i just thought it was the norm  Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hemp

Unread post by TK »

Got two sack fulls in my garage but I use hardly any when I fish it so I'll never get round to using it all

Sort me a few good hookers out then Tigerbay for the next match on the KP Image
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Hemp

Unread post by MarkV »

I've only got my own experience to go o TK, but I dont think theres any such thing as good hookers when it comes to hemp.

Certainly not in size or colour. They seem to take anything. Big doesnt mean better in my opinion. I bought a sack of supposedly large hemp but it came as mixed sizes really, although granted there is some large stuff in it.

The advantage of the large stuff to me is I can flick it further by hand as feed. I really need to riddle the stuff to grade it a bit size wise, as I have the idea that more uniform grains would enable me to feed it more accurately.

That said I 'm not that dedicated and muddle on with it as it is. I'm happy to use smaller sized hemp and prefer it if I havent got to feed far out.

I suppose good hookers to me means hemp that is tight enough to stay on the hook size i'm using.

But you're welcome to some of what i've got anytime.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hemp

Unread post by TK »

Ta Tigerbay Image