If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Tackle Shops

Anyone can chat about anything non fishing related...
Barrow21
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Old Townsender

Tackle Shops

Unread post by Barrow21 »

Notice we have lost two tackle shops in loughborough within the last couple of months.

Are we supporting these local business,s as much as we should ?

Is this a problem nationally or just in this area?

Can we assume the internet trading is is harming these establishments?

Any suggestions for improving this situation?
Statler
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker
Personal Text: Wish I could draw
Match Team/ Club: Stainforth Angling Centre

Tackle Shops

Unread post by Statler »

Unfortunately I think it is a sad combination of factors - Internet trading, commercials demanding use of own bait and selling tackle as well all leaves very little business for the average shop.
Not sure of the solution but using your local shop rather than trying to save a fiver would help.

However, I feel trend is away from local tackle shops.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Tackle Shops

Unread post by bill yards »

Statler is dead on with what he says.

You can't however blame any crappity smack for trying to save a fiver.
OK they declare the recession is well and truly over, it may be in the Houses of Parliament but it ain't round here or a lot of other places.

I don't think the tackle giants themselves help the situation, - I don't think thay gives two crappity smack who sells their gear at whatever price as the long as they keep shifting it.

Tackle shops are closing at quite a pace and that will continue.

Scrap this antiquated Closed Season crap would be a start, - at the end of the day we are not forced to go anyway, - just my view :-*
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Tackle Shops

Unread post by joffmiester »

Quite agree Bill the close season must stop every natural venue angler is biting his nails to get on the rivers now. this would help trade in local shops no end remember these fisheries with shops of their own aren't selling river gear . before you know it we will of lost another percentage of anglers to commercials because they just want to go fishing
Yesterday i had a walk down the River soar a place i learn't all my fishing there wasn't a recognizable peg to be found . even if they cut the close season down to a month as a trail would help instead of this hard built brick wall .
I also think a big part of why the tackle trade has suffered is the birth of pellets anglers can fish all year on a sack of pellets for £20 .
What about the decline of Bait farms around the country we are already seeing the squatts going into short supply in some areas of the country. The sport should be bigger than this Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Tackle Shops

Two tackle shops ??? Barrowboy i thought one had moved into a bigger shop Image Image
Barrow21
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Tackle Shops

Only noticed the to let sign on the shop at Net Busters. Where have they moved to?
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Tackle Shops

I think its some where down Nottingham road i think its a old pub but not too sure . On a brighter note we still have Match catch and Bennettes locally and i for one will support them both Image Image
Barrow21
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Tackle Shops

You are right at least we still have those. Just a bit concerned it was a national trend, must admit I hadn,t considered the commercial bait aspect.
Superslick

Tackle Shops

Unread post by Superslick »

I really dont think small tackle shops have a leg to stand on looking at the way things are going. The big companies can afford to do there tackle at alot cheaper, they have alot more tackle on offer, the bait always seems to be fresh. Correct me if im wrong but small tackle shops used to be highly dependant on the bait trade and with the rate commercial fisheries are moving forward and natural fishing moving backwards the only bait people are going to want in the future are pellets and personaly i will not be buying pellets from the tackle shop as they are extortionate. I will not mention any names but there is a small tackle shop in my area and they must do everything they can to keep there live bait for as long as possible (maggot/caster/worm) because it stinks and its absolutely crap. Y would i want to buy from this small shop when there is a tackle giant up the road from them who has a fresh supply all the time which is even cheaper???? I really feel for these small shops but they are doing themselves no favours in my opinion.
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Tackle Shops

Unread post by Dodge »

Couldn't believe it when Trafford Angling went bust earlier this year , big shop that was and been there for years . Just shows the state of our "sport" today . Agree with bill yards post , bang on !
chub_tamer
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Tackle Shops

Unread post by chub_tamer »

its ok saving money using the internet but at least give yr local shop a chance to take yr money not all the deals on the net are unbeatable and most of us who have a shop would love to be given the chance to compete but loads of people just use the net blind without even asking if u don't use yr local shops they wont be there for ever the future isn't great for use but with the support of angler most will survive and still make a living

Image Image Image Image Image Image
big_cup
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Match Team/ Club: Stainy angling centre
Sponsor: Open to offers!!!

Tackle Shops

Unread post by big_cup »

its ok saving money using the internet but at least give yr local shop a chance to take yr money not all the deals on the net are unbeatable and most of us who have a shop would love to be given the chance to compete but loads of people just use the net blind without even asking if u don't use yr local shops they wont be there for ever the future isn't great for use but with the support of angler most will survive and still make a living

Image Image Image Image Image Image

crappity smack me if I give you anymore I may as well do your shopping and load it into cupboards as well Image Image

That said, I am forced to admit that you do usually match or beat the price I get off internet for bigger items Image Image Mind you, ya should seeing as you have mi pants down with everything else Image Image
Just cant get a draw :facepalm :facepalm
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Tackle Shops

Good point Chub Tamer at least give the Local a chance its better to sell something than nothing Image