If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

England feeder team Grant speaks out

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

Doesn't seem a happy camp at the moment

The management is to blame,” says Grant as he opts out of the Preston Innovations England World Feeder Championship setup.

After being selected to represent England at full international level in the 2013 World Feeder Championship in South Africa, the Halesowen-based angling star, who is sponsored by Matrix, Bait-Tech and car giant BMW, has opted out of any further involvement, along with Garbolino star Darren Cox.

Speaking exclusively to Match Fishing magazine, Grant said: “Team manager Tommy Pickering phoned me to announce that I’d not made the cut for this year’s event, which is to be held in Ireland.”

“However, my decision to opt out isn’t a case of sour grapes; my mind was all but made up about detaching myself from it after the disgraceful way I felt I was treated by the England management out in South Africa. I have dedicated my life to angling since the age of eight, but I felt like giving up fishing altogether after the 2013 Feeder World Championship.”

Grant is one of the country’s elite match anglers and has more medals and accolades to his name than most could ever dream of. Yet he didn't get the opportunity to show what he was capable of at World level on South Africa’s Bloemhof Dam because the five-man side stayed the same for both days, consisting of Tommy Pickering, Steve Ringer, Phil Ringer, Micky Vials and Adam Wakelin.

“I worked hard in South Africa during practice to help the team formulate a plan for the two match days. The fishing was tricky but it was even clear at that point the management had forged ‘favourites’ and spent much of the practice time nursing their egos.

“Representing my country should have been the highlight of my angling career, yet it’s something that I want to erase from my memory forever,” Grant continued.

“England management’s decisions in South Africa were shrouded in dubious light the entire time. In fact, given the choice, I would have come home just four days into the 17-day trip!

“We secured team bronze and each of us received medals as a memento of our achievement. I thrust mine into a drawer on my return and I doubt it’ll ever see the light of day again!”

So with Grant’s decision, what is it he felt was, or still is, wrong about the setup, having been intimately involved?

“I’ve been a member of the all-conquering Daiwa Dorking squad for 15 years now,” Grant said. “We are the most successful domestic team bar none. Yes, the squad consists of arguably the finest collection of anglers on English soil, but the reason we are so dominant is pure and simple – exemplary management by Steve Sanders – it’s a ‘proper’ team.

“By that I mean that so far England’s team results have been disappointing at full world level, yet English feeder anglers are considered the finest in the world. Our ability and understanding of the tactic surpasses that of many other nations but we’re not winning team golds year in, year out! The best results so far are 2013 in South Africa and Belgium, 2012, both resulting in team-bronze finishes.

“The reason we’re not winning is simple; you cannot manage and fish successfully, yet Tommy Pickering is intent on doing both and costing the team glory in the process.

“There are anglers in the setup who fish to win individual medals, none more so than the leader of the pack himself. And, while that remains the case, it’s highly unlikely the team will win gold.

“Of course you have to do well yourself to do well for the team, but the aim of team fishing is simple; you fish to win your section, not the match – the team always comes first.”

Moving on to this year’s event, Grant wasn’t in any mood to hold back his feelings.

“All I have done since returning from South Africa is fish matches in readiness for Ireland. Almost every weekend I’ve been on the bank fishing feeder venues that match what Ireland has to offer as closely as possible,” he said.

“I went to Ireland to familiarise myself, but it was all completely in vain. I never have a problem with being beaten fair and square or being left out of a team for plausible reasons, but when Tommy phoned me to break the news he said that he couldn't pick me because I’d not fished at Inniscarra – the venue for this year’s World Championship (but I had finished 20th out of 180 on the Classic festival and fished the World Pairs event, both held in Ireland). I wouldn't have minded, but there’s more than one member of the named team who hasn’t fished at Inniscarra either. Tommy also told me that he didn't see me as a ‘roach tip angler’, but I would say there’s more than one other who wouldn’t be considered a ‘roach tip angler’, and, one individual in particular from the team has spent his fishing time almost exclusively on F1 pole venues, yet has made the cut. Work that out!

“There are a myriad of other reasons and supporting events, including being duped by my England travelling partner who seemed intent on stitching me up from the beginning.

“The Men’s England float setup is so successful and one of the reasons is due to the team rarely changing. I have nothing but admiration for all but a couple of the members involved in the Preston Innovations England World Feeder Championship setup, but Tommy’s decision to change the team each year means there’s no cohesion or solidarity between the members. Too many anglers are being sold a dream they’ll never realise and it has to change if we’re to return with the gold medals we’re so capable of winning.” Grant concluded.

Pole Fishing columnist, and Garbolino top rod Darren Cox has decided to drop out of the Preston Innovations World Feeder Championship setup, after failing to make the team for this years World Championship in Ireland.

Darren, who is widely regarded as one of the UK’s top allround anglers, boasts ten England caps at Six Nations and European Championship level, as well as being a former winner of prestigious domestic events including the Shakespeare Championship, Parkdean Masters Final, Kamasan British Open and Fish O Mania Final. He fished the first ever World Feeder Championship back in 2012, and has been a part of the set up since its inception.

He told Pole Fishing: “My face doesn’t fit anymore. I just don’t know what I would have needed to do to get in the team this year to be honest. If this is the way that teams are selected, then there is a call in my eyes for a return to a good old fashioned trial system.”

Manager, Tom Pickering has named his team as: himself, Steve Ringer, Mick Vials, Phil Ringer, Adam Wakelin and Dean Barlow.

Darren added: “I have put a hell of a lot of focus into getting picked for this team over recent years, and even took the decision to drop out of the float fishing European Championship team to focus on it. I have done well in Ireland in the past, and just have to be realistic and admit that my face doesn’t really fit with the management.

I am looking forward now to continuing to enjoy my fishing and trying to win major events, whether it be on the float or feeder.

MANY THANKS TO MATCH FISHING MAGAZINE  Image Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

After chatting to Grant at the Big One show Grant is a full of life character and so keyed up into angling . At first i thought it was unusual for Grant to speak out so soon after the team had been picked .Now after reading this Grant holds nothing back and asks questions about the England set up .
On the other hand being a captain of such anglers that are unquestionably the best feeder anglers in the country but are they team players as most chase the big money competitions and to do that you need to be selfish to a degree by thinking of winning at all cost i feel for Tommy as it's such a fine line that maybe he can only see
the queen
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: D.N.W

Unread post by the queen »

Sorry but have to agree with grant on this one. Fully congratulate Dean on making the squad 'well in pal'.
but on all seriousness looking at the rest of the team, yes they are all top top anglers, are they really our finest English anglers who consistently do battle in Ireland year in year out and know inisscarra inside out like a lot of other English lads? I think not.
I'd love them to prove me wrong and triumph in Ireland this year.... but they'll be a lot of critics if they don't. :-/
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

Must admit I am quite sirprised to read this.

I can thoroughly understand the views of the two top anglers involved especially with the committment they have put in.

What I don't like is that it really is half a story, - Tom Pickering's view (whatever it is) should be represented before anyone shouts too loud.

Just my view :P
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Bill this is on view
this is the statment announcing the feeder world championship squad from Tommy

Tommy names his team!

The Angling Trust Preston Innovations England Feeder team have now been selected for the FIPSed 4th World Feeder Championships in Ireland on the 19th/20th July 2014.

The squad will consist of brothers, Steve and Phil Ringer, Mick Vials, Adam Wakelin, Dean Barlow, and current Barnsley Blacks team captain, Glenn Lawrence (coach) and Tom Pickering (manager/squad member).

Rob Wootton and Adam Rooney will also be part of the set up to give them experience at International level, and to work alongside the team for the future.

The competition will be held on the Inniscarra Reservoir/Lake in the locality of Coachford, Co Cork. The venue Section is 2-8 km long and a road has been put in place along the section for easy access to the entire venue. Depth ranges from 6 meters to 9 meters at 30 meters out from the bank. Fish mostly present are bream ranging from 1kg plus, skimmers, hybrids, roach, rudd are in abundance other species, tench, carp, eels, perch, brown trout, pike, gudgeon.

Tom Pickering, England manager said “I would like to thank Grant Albutt and Darren Cox for their contribution and hard work last year as part of the squad. I have been out to Ireland and getting a feel of the venue since trials were held in September last year to look at selecting the strongest squad to take in the build up to this year’s World Championship, and I’m very confident this year and have high hopes of excelling on our bronze medal win last year in South Africa.”

Dick Clegg, OBE, international events manager commented on Tom’s England selection stating “'This will be the teams' best chance of a gold medal since the conception of a feeder championship launched in Italy in 2011. Ireland is well known by English anglers and I know Tom and his squad will have put in a great deal of groundwork before the event takes place in July. There is a lot of work being done on the access to the lake and I believe it will become a very popular venue for English Anglers in the future.”

Sarah Phoenix, Preston Innovations managing director said “We're lucky this time around that the fishing in Ireland is something the whole team has experienced before. Tommy has enjoyed some fruitful trips to Ireland in the past and I know he senses this year could be the best chance so far of clinching gold. It provides a good opportunity to spread the word about Preston Innovations once again. Ireland is somewhere that our presence is growing all the time. Good luck to all the anglers representing Team England this time around. We're delighted to be supporting the guys once again. Here's hoping for gold!”
Superslick

Unread post by Superslick »

Really hard to read. Grant is a top bloke and hes done the ryt thing by speaking out but this could get really messy as its been published to the nation to read. Everyone in a team will realise that there are arguments and fallouts over the smallest of things but as soon as you take them outside the team for other people to indulge on then your name will be dirt within the team until there has been a full revamp. i can see the team being changed totally after the world feeder champs now and if tommy isnt the manager then that also means a new sponsor will be needed i think...
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

Some proper ego,s around that England set up plus business conflicts . Credit to Grant for speaking out and going public , full respect to him .
Ian_baker
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Matrix Dynamite Trentmen
Sponsor: Matrix, Dynamite

Unread post by Ian_baker »

Perhaps Joff should organise a feeder masters to go with his soar masters. Then top 6 after 6 matches gets into the England squad. Seems like you need to be a sponsored angler to get in the squads where there a lot of good anglers on the feeder that don't fish the same circuit as all these blokes. I bet all these picked rock up at White acres this close season so there's a click!! My thoughts only.Im sure the turnout would be good with the incentive at the end
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Just my opinion but for some time I have considered Fin and Polly as THE two top feeder anglers.

We all know Polly is a top all rounder but he has very recent proven form in Irelanrn and plenty of it on the feeder.

Difficult job picking teams though. Image Image
Ian_baker
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Matrix Dynamite Trentmen
Sponsor: Matrix, Dynamite

Unread post by Ian_baker »

Old style selection match instead of someone's personal opinion. When 1 person picks any team then they always come in for some kind of grief.Where a trial match or series of trials with best anglers picked takes away any favouritism talk.
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

Should be interesting, let's see what comes back over the fence Image Image
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Arch »

Didn't Alex Bones say something similar in one of his editorials in Match Fishing magazine a while back ??

That's 3 disgruntled anglers now.

Image Image
milo_rubix

Unread post by milo_rubix »

It's funny but both threads have been pulled from Match Fishing and Pole Fishing so it would appear Preston have spat their dummy out and probably threatened to pull the advertising budget from both mags if they didn't pull the stories. I'm not being funny but from the comments Sarah Phoenix of Preston has made its nothing more than a big marketing exercise for them and are obviously the ones pulling all the strings - it all stinks.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

It might of been removed because it was a one sided argument there are two sides to every argument like Bill said and without tommy defending his decisions could be deemed a unbalanced argument . although in the original announcement you can see where Grant and Darren are coming from Ireland is a completely different kettle of fish to south Africa .
I understand having been a captain of a team and not at a level like this just how hard it is to fish and run a team i often dropped out of the team for this reason
I hope this doesn't affect the other anglers in the team because we all want to see England win the gold in Ireland
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Once politics gets involved I can't see the point of even entering a comp like this.

There goes my MBE again Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

AGAIN .
.................. Image Image Image Image Image
craftytafty
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by craftytafty »

white acres should be interesting on the Bait Tech festival ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
hanley

Unread post by hanley »

preston put the money up so mr preston tommy capt, and mick vials one of their reps , but no preston no money no team so cant they put 2 off their anglers in ?
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

There goes my MBE again

Joff, it stands for Missed Bites Everywhere Image