If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Barbel rod.

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Barbel rod.

Unread post by Arch »

I'm on the lookout for a Barbel rod to use on the Trent around Burton and maybe the odd trip up to Collingham. A trip to the Wye later this year is also planned. I've been looking at the PI Dutch master river, a Matrix Horizon, Drennan matchpro super feeder or the Greys Prodigy VX super feeder. Or if it's right, i may push the boat out and get a Freespirit one.

I don't want an out and out Barbel rod, but one that maybe has interchangeable tips. Or 2 tops, that sort of thing.

Help please,

Arch.
Pedro
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Barbel rod.

Unread post by Pedro »

For lighter trent barbelling I use a Korum  XS 12FT multi power...ya can pick them up new for under £80.

http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/neotericxsrod#

Failing that you wont go far wrong with the Greys...not sure now..but they once came with a lifetime guarantee  Image
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Barbel rod.

Unread post by Arch »

Cheers for that, i'll have a look.

This is the Greys rod. Any good ?? Powerfull enough ??

http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/GPVXFD
Pedro
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Barbel rod.

Unread post by Pedro »

Arch if your after a 13/14ft then the  Dutch Masters take some beatin  Image

Preston 100grm 13'8 Dutch master with a Preston PCR 6000 strapped to it.

They  do a cheaper alternative called the Competition.

I tried both and would recommend the 100grm 13'8" if the wallet will stretch to it  Image

If they're good enough fo Picko n Vialesie then they're good enough fo me   Image :D :D .
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Barbel rod.

Unread post by Arch »

I do like the look of the DMs thats for sure. But would i be better off with the river version ?? I want to be chucking a GB feeder and Halibut combo across the Trent/Wye.

As for the reel. Iv'e got 2, 5000 baitrunners, although i like the look of the Daiwa Whisker 3012. :D

Thanks for replying. Image
big_cup
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Match Team/ Club: Stainy angling centre
Sponsor: Open to offers!!!

Barbel rod.

Unread post by big_cup »

Arch, I've got the 14.2 dutch master ( bought for chucking to the moon in Ireland ) distance with this rod and the right reel hasn't ever been a problem. I have never used a rod with as much power to throw as far as they do yet have action through the full rod from the butt to the tip. Usually big chucking pokers only bend in the top section but that rod is something else. Cant really help you with the barble response though as I have never fished for them with it. I have used the 12ft Korum one Peds has posted for barble and I know a few lads that use them for decent chucks and bigger carp on commercials, they have some poke for a reasonable price rod.

Hope you get the right rod that ticks all your boxes Image Image
Just cant get a draw :facepalm :facepalm
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Barbel rod.

Unread post by Arch »

Cheers guys. Image

Feeder fishing has changed a lot since i stopped going. Then, if you fished a stillwater you used an 11/13 combo and on the river it was some sort of Porky pig rod or a broom handle out of the shed. Nowadays there are alsorts of different rods available.

Would i be right in saying that most of these &quot :D utch Master" type of rods are mainly for long range stillwater work, or wide, deep, slow moving rivers ?? Neither of which i'll be fishing. I'm after a rod that will handle a 5-6oz GB filled feeder on a shallow pacy river. Then have enough grunt to get the HUGH Barbel out that i'm gonna catch. :D

I just want to make the right decision. The money side is less important as long as i get the right rod. I don't want to end up with a rod that isn't up to it and then have to buy another that is.

Confused of Leicester..................
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Barbel rod.

Unread post by Arch »

** UPDATE **

A few months ago i travelled across to Fosters and had a good look round all their available heavy feeder/barbel rods. In the end i chose a Greys Specimen feeder. The guy helping me went off to find the rod bag and extra tips, as that rod was the only one they had. Well after a good search he couldn't find either, so i left empty handed, bar a few feeders and some other bits.

Three days later the cam-belt tensioner went on the car, resulting it being off the road for a month and us being 2K lighter in the bank after having it fixed. So trying to persuade her indoors that a new rod was really important wasn't a good idea.

Well, yesterday i took delivery of not one but two Greys Prodigy Barbel rods. 12' long with a test curve of 2lbs. Got them off the bay at a price of £115 for the pair. I may sell one of them on as i can't see me using two. But we'll see. Their in good nick and exactly what i was after. Just need to match up the quiver tips and they'll be sorted. (Come on Greys, iv'e contacted you twice now)

So, it's took a while, but i'm now waiting for the new river season to try them out.

Image Image
Pedro
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Barbel rod.

Unread post by Pedro »

Nice one Arch  Image
Keep em both!!! Image......all ya need now is a set of bite alarms n rod pod  Image Image

Oh!! And  a unhookin mat....keep crappity smackin barbel police off ya back!!  Image
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Barbel rod.

Unread post by Arch »

LOL

Bait alarms are going a bit to far for me.   Image Chair, kit and a flask of coffee and I can see myself spending many a hour wandering along the Trent and Dove. I might even catch summat.