If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Todays Question Tinned Hemp or home cooked

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

I've often wondered about tinned hemp i've always cooked my own in large quantity . Nowerdays i see more and more anglers and carpanglers using tinned .i'll always cook my own hook bait but is the tinned Hemp just as good or better than home cooked . Image

daveyboy

Unread post by daveyboy »

Here is 3 pints in soak , waiting to be cooked later on

There's some bi carb in there as well
sharki

Unread post by sharki »

home cooked just for the price of it tbh.but its getting exspensive in sacks last sack I bought was 12.00 quid so when I came to buy another it was 28.00 I know everything goes up but jesus that much :o

a little tip for you instead of stinking house out when doing it in bulk get and old cool box fill with hemp n bi carb fill with boiling water cover it n leave over night bang on next day I only do this when need to do it in bulk otherwise I do the old flask jobby overnight ;)
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

Hi Daveyboy,

OK tinned hemp is probably more convenient especially time wise.

It is definitely worth spending some time looking around fpr a 'seed merchanrs', - there must be a few near you. We use one in Stoke-on-Trent!
Buying hemp this way is ridiculously cheap once you find a good supplier. You can get almost 90 pints of cooked hemp from a half hundred weight sack of hemp.

Price wise the cost will vary as the ptice the suppliers get it at varies per time of year and where they get it from.
For large amounts, say 8 pints, which I can do in one go. I use a very old jam saucepan and about half fill it with water, put the hemp in and add two full teaspoons of Bicarb, - the bicarb darkens the shell making the kernel stand out more.

If you work thise costs out compared with tinned or shop bought hemp you are saving yourself quite a bit.

I have paid anything from £15 to £30 for a half cwt.

Basically, I just let it boil away for tive minures, switch everything off and let it cool down, - with the lid on the saucepan, that is the important bit.

Image Image Image Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Sorry Daveyboy, I should have guessed it was a Leicester type question Image Image Image Image Image Image

Put it down to a senior moment Image
daveyboy

Sorry Daveyboy, I should have guessed it was a Leicester type question Image Image Image Image Image Image

Put it down to a senior moment Image
I have a few of those nowadays Bill
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

I think that the tinned hemp as well as being expensive is also small. I find that feeding by hand it is harder to get it as far and as accurately as my own cooked stuff.

Mind you I make sure I buy large seeds in the first place. Image

I soak mine for 24 hours first and then use two large saucepans to cook it and like Bill I leave it to cool in the water. The only reason for soaking is to make it easier to cook and reduce the time SWMBO gets to moan about the smell. I tend to cook a gallon or two at a time so I always have some at short notice.
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

My iphone aint crappity smacking stopped making noises since i joined that facebook b o l l ox   Image  Image Image Image  :D  Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

You have message dodge Image Image
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

Unread post by MrV »

90% of time its home cooked for me...however, if necessary I get it ready cooked from Ians tackle. Its a good substitute Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

I've used tins on the few commercials I've fished and it seems to give off a massive slick of attractive oils .Even when I've cooked mine at home I cool it then bag it in the water so it never leaves the water it's cooked in until I use it .The oils don't seem to be the same
not as oily
daveyboy

Mine cooked and bagged up now, ready for the weekend
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

Pete Jayes dont use tinned, Tony Marshall dont use tinned, nuff said.
Joff, why is sensas hemp so expensive now ? It's £6.99 a 1 kilo bag at my tackle shop. Its the best I can find to be fair to sensas !! (for once !! anyway how much You paying Simps for all this recent advertising ?)
I know everything is going up but even weed prices aint risen that much in recent times !!!!!!!!
macca
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Personal Text: TRUE BLUE
Match Team/ Club: shakespeare superteam
Sponsor: four ashes

Unread post by macca »

I've used tins on the few commercials I've fished and it seems to give off a massive slick of attractive oils .Even when I've cooked mine at home I cool it then bag it in the water so it never leaves the water it's cooked in until I use it .The oils don't seem to be the same
not as oily 
if you want your hemp to be more oily joff buy some hemp oil from the supermarket and add it to your hemp after cooking.
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

For what its worth I like hemp oil on tares aswell as hemp in winter, not too fussed in summer.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Pete Jayes dont use tinned, Tony Marshall dont use tinned, nuff said.
Joff, why is sensas hemp so expensive now ? It's £6.99 a 1 kilo bag at my tackle shop. Its the best I can find to be fair to sensas !! (for once !! anyway how much You paying Simps for all this recent advertising ?)
I know everything is going up but even weed prices aint risen that much in recent times !!!!!!!!

:-/ :-/ will find out mate that seems to be expensive have you tried other shops ????
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

The hemp I get from a seed merchants comes in all sizes. Personally I aint fussy but there is some huge stuff in there, some of it is too big and obviously heavier; it can play havoc with your rigs.
Some like the large stuff, as long as it ain't small I see no problem. It ain't that difficult to riddle it before it is cooked.
If you cook it in bulk,- I often do 4 or 5 gallons of it for Ireland trips for example, you will find the first 'cooking' take a good three times longer than the rest! Can only think that the heat is retained in the pan/cooker and water (which is added a bit at a time as it evaporates).

The last three half cwt sacks I have bought cost £30, £18 and £15, like I say it depends what time of year you buy it. Even so at £30, a pint works out at very slightly over 30p, - the cooking costs are minimal.

The last cooked pint I bought in a shop was £1.50 - no contest. I have used the tinned stuff and caught well on it but can's see the point in paying more than you have to. Think I shall have to start selling it Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Yes i think you put me onto a supplier Bill mixed sizes and the large stuff wasn't the best couldn't cook it right so i sieved the giant stuff and cooked it to death and liquidised it the rest is perfect and easy to cook  Image Image
only put the topic up to see what anglers thought interesting though
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Joff, never had a problem cooking my hemp.

You do have to light the gas Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

I honestly think a lot of anglers are very gullible when it comes to buying.
I worked in a tackle shop for ten years. One week I sieved some soil and put it in a strong plastic bag with a £1.50 sticker on it and chucked it in the groundbait oddments bin.
I was amazed, the response from some very good match anglers beggared belif. How much of that can get mate was the commonest; this groundbait was the talking point for the whole day. we lost count of the number of anglers that dumped this bag on the counter whilst fiddling in their pockets or wallet for the cash.
I never sold as I couln't keep my face straight for one thing.

The soil was dirt from my back garden, nothing else, nothing added! I lost count with the amount that said they liked the smell of it.

I could have understood if it was only one or two anglers that caressed this bag of dirt but it was nearly everyone that came in.!!!