If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Trip Down Memory lane Town Welland

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

Well all week i've been looking forward to revisiting one of my old haunts not just the welland through Spalding but the big welland at Crowland and the Coronation channel.A place we used to fish throughout the summer months when you could guarantee as soon as you hit the A47 the sun would be in your face all the way there and all the way back.i set off in good time with the help of the Sat-Nav postcode in then remembering the old root to Crowland bridge so a slight diversion i thought  Image Image. needless to say i thought i'd all the time in the world stopping here and there and then putting the sat-nav back on  :D :D :D. For some reason it said destination 1 hour 10 minutes i paniced a bit as time was getting on and followed the sat-nav realising 20miles down the road it was putting back on the orginal route  ::) ::) ::)by this time Joe Roberts had phoned me and my reply was "yes i think i'm close"  :-[ :-/ ::) :-? as i drove up a private lane to the fishermans arms Image Image not another car or van in sight and a knew i was late  Image Imagebut no signs of any fishermen  Image ImageAt this point a young lady knocked on the window of the Van  Image Image Hello you cheeky girl i said  ::) ::) IN MY DREAMS !!luckily she thought i might be lost as she realised that by the name on the van it was a little too far to deliver the weekly shopping  Image Image but she was spot on where rothley was in leicestershire .She gave me some great info on where i needed to go but i was still 20 or so miles out the way Image Image Image next phone call to
Joe was his answer phone so at this stage i didn't know where the draw was or if i had even got a peg :D :D :D. when i did get into the town with it being both banks and a oneway system i was now on the magic roundabout with very little fuel  Image Image Image lucky for me Jenko jumped out from behind a phone box and said "Your partner is next to me and your on peg 37 on the other bank and your next to swino  Image Image anyway i found the spot and parked up with half a hour before the match began
Image Image Image
as i arrivied Swino said i didnt even know you were fish until  you turned up here  Image Imageand gave me some in sights to how they bagged up in the week off the very same pegs  ;) ;)
i put two or three rigs on and then doctored them set up what i could and i was just about ready for the off .bareing in mind i hadnt fished here for 20 years and when i looked at my section it was like a Bait-tec and Drennan line up ALI O was on the end peg your Mr bates on the next me then Wayne with Steve Winters ,Graham barry with Barry Wiggington followed by Joe Roberts and a few others :D :D

This is looking down towards the town bridge section as you can see the match jumps from bank to bank.

Not the most the best looking peg ive drawn but it sounded fish filled

As it started to rain Wayne shouted up i had desided to keep it simple fishing 6/7 metres with bread and some hemp a little futher out i put two 250 ml pots in think that would start it off and watched what others put in quite a bit more .i'd taken loads of bread to be fare so i would put more in if needed  Image Image

anyway where ever you looked everyone started to catch but my next problem was being so high off the water and using light laggy i had to net every fish and these roach put up a good scrap  Image Image i looked a cross at Wayne his was a little tighter than i was using and could get them in quicker for a hour it was one after the other yet i had started to get a odd spell of no bites so i'd feed again and fish the other line sometimes this would work but still had these spells and no one else seemed to have them Image Image Image i was doing something wrong some where  Image Image chatting as we fished Wayne asked what i'd put in i just said pure bread not the canal mix but a little courser i remembered what choppy had told me about punched bread mix but i had'nt put enough in the mix as Wayne's mix looked like pure white G/B went straight to the bottom .big mistake i think . Image i then started to add hemp to the bread which helped and my catch rate improved .I did try hemp as i was told it often worked in this coloured water and perhaps another thing i shouldn't of wasted time on

As the match went on and the rain got even heavier it was becoming increasingly hard to keep your hook bait dry and the other problem was the amount of times i hooked my landing net just silly little things that slowed me down time and time again Image Image but still the fishing was good .what i had found is the fish had sometime moved down the peg once i had cottoned on to this i was starting to put fish together fare to late to compete with Wayne or the others .Its ok getting information via phone calls but i really should of gone and had a practice as the lads all a round me could ring all the changes leaving me to work them out .At the the end of the match i was disapointed not to of competed with the others but i had a great day chatting to Wayne and the others rolling back the years and the hurrendous weather couldnt of ruined the day  Image Image

22lb something

Wayne's 41lb 9oz i'll not forget that weight for a long time Image

Great laugh with Barry Wiggington and Graham Barry

Steve winters fished a blinder half on the whip again great sport and Wayne didn't half give him some  Image Image

although this part of the river fished its socks off either end sections were pretty poor so its a little famine or fest but then again Wayne couldn't fish the Glen as it was flooded so all the pegs went on the Town Welland!! BUT I'VE BOOKED ON FOR THE NEXT ONE IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS  Image Image Image
big_cup
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Match Team/ Club: Stainy angling centre
Sponsor: Open to offers!!!

Unread post by big_cup »

Another good write up Joff Image Image

Not seen Swino for a couple of years, looks like he has lost some weight?? Rumour has it he is coming back over to Holland this year, do you know if that is true?? :-/ :-/
Just cant get a draw :facepalm :facepalm
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Arch »

It may be me, but I think Steve Winters is the spit of CWH.

Nice write up Joff. Image
Pedro
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by Pedro »

Nice one Boycie. Image

Stopped in digs there a couple of times...... when nationals were on middle level and 40ft.........happy dayzzzzz :)

Breadwise...dont they use gravel anymore to help get the crumb darn ?¿?
;)
daveyboy

Unread post by daveyboy »

A good write up joff, better luck next week , are you going down for a practice ?
daskin

Unread post by daskin »

I wouldnt mind a crack at that !!!!
Even though I`m probably too slow to compete with them boys nowdays.
Its not too far from me.
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Cracking nets of fish and write up Joffster Image
darkhorse

Unread post by darkhorse »

amazing fishing, wish i could find some of that my way
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

amazing fishing, wish i could find some of that my way

Me too Image Image Image

Enjoyed the read Joffie Image and stop doing them detours Image You was almost late for the match of the year in 2013 - the SMF championships Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Believe it or not it's free fishing anyone can fish !!! Big cup Wayne didn't say if he was going back to holland but what he did say sometime ago if they made the matches five hours again he would think about it Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

TK i can't believe it the last two matches I've been so late I've nearly missed the weigh ins Image Image I hate being late honest
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Dave was that you on the other bank kiddo with going up the stainy I don't think I can but never say never I've got a couple of lads around that fancy a day the old town stretch so I might get a lift Image Image
big_cup
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by big_cup »

Believe it or not it's free fishing anyone can fish !!! Big cup Wayne didn't say if he was going back to holland but what he did say sometime ago if they made the matches five hours again he would think about it  Image

Cheers Joff

The brochure from anglers world said 5 hours although I haven't spoke to patt yet to confirm :-/ :-/ Just heard a rumour that Wayne, Sam, the Reynolds etc were all coming back to fish the match in Don's memory :-/ :-/
Have you decided yet? Or are you still on Ireland in September? Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Yes Ireland is booked Holland I might have to miss I'm still working on it if it means me driving over or perhaps Sensas might send me ::) ::) ::)
big_cup
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by big_cup »

Keep at it, otherwise Dazzla will have to double up on his side of my sponsorship Image Image Image
Be to quiet without you and your bunch for the second week Image Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Yes unfortunately I don't think any of the lads are going so it will only be me I'm afraid
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

Well You drew sock on there Joff !!! solid !!!! Why did You think the match was at Stamford ? Image Told You the mix !!! That's a big roach area so can be better cupping hard balls less often and sometimes going to 5mm punch and a 18 hook. Fish 0.08mm hooklength and 5 through 3 set pingy. Those roach will back off but feed a ball then go down your peg. You should catch a few then its back over Your feed again. On those pegs 6/7 joints is a bit too far, when its coloured 5 joints max on those pegs unless its a struggle. Fishing like this and keeping a close eye on the level (best to put a marker in .), the stamp of fish (sometimes the smaller stamp need it a lot more regular). Also stamp your bread when the rig is settling, it saves time.
Don't say I never tell You anything. It also helps to get there early and talk to the locals before the match, that's 2 on the bounce !!! :D
daskin

Unread post by daskin »

I wouldnt mind a crack at that !!!!
Even though I`m probably too slow to compete with them boys nowdays.
Its not too far from me.
Someone let me know if theres a spare peg going.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

I know kiddo two in a row is not like me and both times I've set off in good time it won't happen again mate
Yes you told me the right info my rigs were a little light as well 0.4 .6 should of had a bigger rig
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Daskin 5 short yesterday if you can contact Wayne I'm sure he would put you down Image