If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

The Tiny River Alne, Warwickshire.

Share your Match Results or Fishing Stories Here.

Moderator: bill yards

MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

Got talking to a couple of blokes in the week about the little river Alne in Warwickshire and really fancied it, so popped out today.

Never fished the river before despite passing over it countless times, probably for two reasons, firstly I thought it too small to bother and secondly id never got round to finding out where I could fish.

I'd intended to fish a small stick but found id put the wrong rod in my holdall so ended up fishing a pole with no8 elastic fairly tight . I'd heard there were chub about and it isnt far to snags.

Had a bream of about three pounds, a chub somewhere between one and a half / one and three quarters and didnt see the biggest fish as I pulled out as it took off, pulling much more elastic out than the other two. 5 or six pounds of roach, dace, gudgeon and perch made up the rest all in about three hours.

The wind was gusting all over the place but if I could get the float to go through half right it was a bite a chuck at times on maggot. 9 - 10 metres wide and about 4 feet at its deepest where I was.

Didnt do anything fancy...fished a cheap milano pole rig straight out the packet initially with a butchers hook that looked like a 14 and single/double maggot ! I decided they wouldnt be hook shy and they werent. Dont think its fished much. Later on went down to a proper 16 but its hardly what you'd call fishing with finesse. Reminded me of a brook I used to fish with my dad when I was a lad.  Smashing trip.
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Well done, good writeup. Image
Been windy for the 3 or 4 days >:(
Did you get any pics ?
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by Drynet »

nice one mate how far is the river from Brum.
frank
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by frank »

its starts just above Wootten Worwen and joins the Arrow
never fished it but looks like theres some nice places to fish.
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

Didnt take any pics Simon but I might do next time.

When I say its small... it is... but tiny is probaly overdoing it.... especially if anyone knows the A34 Stratford Rd at Wooten Wawen, which crosses the Alne.

Theres a wier there which you can see clearly from the road and is an absolute picture, The pool below makes it look a much, much bigger river than it actually is though. Dont think you can fish the pool, never ever seen anyone on it.

Its 18 miles from Bham centre drynet

As you mention pictures though Simon, there is a petrol station enroute that looks like something out of the 1920's ...and a delapidated one at that... you just wouldnt believe it . Makes me think of something from the wilds of the USA, should have a hillbilly isnside lol. I was thinking I should take a picture of it before it finally goes.. im no photographer but its just one of those places you wouldnt believe unless you actually saw it. Its on a main drag too. I'll post it on here when I do one.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Nice write up and sounds like a decent day Tigerbay.

I love them sort of venues - give me one anyday rather than a commie  Image

Make sure you take that camera next time for both the fish and that shack from Wrong Turning  Image
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

I fished at Wooten Wawen ridgeacre, so I guess you could call it 'upper alne' ...just about.
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

Here's a couple of pics. Managed to get down there for a couple of hours this afternoon. Had two chub about a pound and a half, a perch about the same and some bits. Lost a bigger chub in a snag. I'd gone down to 6 elastic as I was bumping off roach and couldnt do a thing with it when it took off.

This first pic isnt the one I fished, I got there and a bloke appeared on the far bank asking if I'd done any good but I was only setting up. A bit later he appeared behind me, so I said OH theres a bridge down there then... oh no he said, ive just come across in my wellies !

At that point I was plumbing it in front of me and only had about two feet so I moved a short way up to where I fished on saturday ....which is the second pic.

Doesnt look that picturesque this time of year and its a shame about the plastic bags on the trees etc from the floods, but there you go I suppose.

Couple of other bonuses were, I could drive behind my peg and he didnt come down for the money (again )  Image Bloke there today said, 9 times out of ten he doesnt.

PS It never occurred to me to photograph the fish ! lol
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Cracking pictures Image
Looks a nice stretch and good colour.
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

200 yards upstream it looks like this in summer Image   :D

But think theres a sign saying no fishing now.  This view can be seen from the road and despite there being anglers in the picture i've never ever actually seen anyone fishing it.

LarryTeepot
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker
Match Team/ Club: Tunnel Barn Farm Vets
Sponsor: Fishermans Friend .... and Mo,s

Unread post by LarryTeepot »

is it a day ticket thing?....i just have to have a look we fished it further up behind a Massive lake in the 70s.............

lets go chasing rainbows in the sky Image
frank
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by frank »

Larry
Just had a look on live search the pools upstream of that dam behind a little housing est, looks ok

http://maps.live.com/#JndoZXJlMT1Xb290d ... E3MTg3NQ==

not certain if this works
frank
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by frank »

click it wait for it to load then click + then go into ariel and drag pic down a bit
best I can do ,me a numpty
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Remember it well Frank from when I was a nip many moons ago and we used to go quite frequently to an aunt I have who lived the other side of Stratford
Used to look beautiful........can't remember them houses being there then though Image
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

Larry Teapot, it is a day ticket thing but not that organised. I've fished it twice now and not been asked for any money. Last time the guy who was walking said nine times out of ten the farmer doesnt come down. My mates who told me about it say he often doesnt come.  It's a natural fishery on his land and I dont think he's that bothered for three quid.

If you go over the river on the A34 Stratford Road ...travelling away from Bham towards Stratford, almost immediately you cross the river turn right over the cattle grid into the field and you can drive down alongside the river, thats it.  I havent gone far downstream. asked someone how far it went the other day and he didnt seem to know, my guess is it's quite a way from what he was saying generally. Have to find the deeper swims and I expect a bit of colour helps.

Very interesting natural fishery though.

Oh and dont mind the things that look like very big bulls with the horns, they're pussycats really   :D

Unread post by Guest »

If you go furthe down the river its twice the size & the barbel reach 10lb plus!!.