If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

HOOK LENGTHS

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

HOOK LENGTHS

Unread post by joffmiester »

bit of spit does the trick Image
light lines small hoods 5 turns never yet been a problem S.H told me a few years back in france yes the hook length has given but never the knot
big fish is another kettle of fish Image
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

HOOK LENGTHS

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

On the subject of hook lengths and this mainly applies to moving water.
If You a using a pole float with an eye and you attach the hooklength loop to loop, look at the position of your hook to where the eye on the float is. The best way to do this is put the rig on the top kit of the pole and hold it up right. You want the hook to face opposite the eye as best You can (adjust the float to suit) so when You control the float the hook will be in a straight position. This will give better hook holds. Sometimes the current will put the hook straight but in deeper water this might not be the case. It's just a thought.
tony_beech

HOOK LENGTHS

Unread post by tony_beech »

What's a hook lengh? Image
olly

HOOK LENGTHS

Unread post by olly »

I just wet it in my mouth, Never had any problems. On a figure of eight knot I pull it tight whilst its still in my mouth  :D

I wouldn't fancy getting me tongue caught in the middle of a figure of 8 being pulled tight Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

HOOK LENGTHS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... gc1OzOE1D8

this answers a few of the questions just found it on SAS site
brilliant
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

HOOK LENGTHS

Unread post by TK »

Interesting indenting the line Joffie..............just gorra pop out now to Hobby craft and get meself some of them pliers Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

HOOK LENGTHS

Interesting indenting the line Joffie..............just gorra pop out now to Hobby craft and get meself some of them pliers  Image

get me some kiddo ;)
craftytafty
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

HOOK LENGTHS

Unread post by craftytafty »

On the subject of hook lengths and this mainly applies to moving water.
If You a using a pole float with an eye and you attach the hooklength loop to loop, look at the position of your hook to where the eye on the float is. The best way to do this is put the rig on the top kit of the pole and hold it up right. You want the hook to face opposite the eye as best You can (adjust the float to suit) so when You control the float the hook will be in a straight position. This will give better hook holds. Sometimes the current will put the hook straight but in deeper water this might not be the case. It's just a thought.

Ritchie, you've got far too much time on your hands lolol Image Image Image Image
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

HOOK LENGTHS

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

Andy,
It's all the little things that help to improve your performance, and yes maybe I have too much time to think about all this !!!!!!!!!!!!
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

HOOK LENGTHS

Unread post by TK »

I'd clocked that top tip CWH Image particularly as I do tend to pole it a fair bit when I manage to get on the rivers for club matches, peg permitting

Not a million miles away from my thoughts on summat I briefly 'discussed' with Bill today Image
craftytafty
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

HOOK LENGTHS

Unread post by craftytafty »

Andy,
It's all the little things that help to improve your performance, and yes maybe I have too much time to think about all this !!!!!!!!!!!!

lol
too complicated for me, Image Image
Rigga
Personal Text: Love match fishin
Match Team/ Club: Shakespeare Superteam

HOOK LENGTHS

Unread post by Rigga »

I have loads of hooks tied in 5 inch(bleak) 14 inch (pole/bolo) and 20 inch (stick wag) i dont fish commercials at the mo. I keep them in paper packets with a tiny trace smear of vaseline on the line. I beleve paper packets are better than the modern way of hook boards as they are kept nicely away in my hook walet away from the elements. I normaly put one shot on my hooklengths and im starting to use stots more and more. Stots seem to move on the line better than shot and carnt get along with style leads. Style lead pinchers are good for squashing the hook barb down which i do a lot when maggot fishing. Most my hooks are tied on a homemade hookboard and im a 10 turns man. Bleak hooks i use 25 turns with a long tag which is absolutly vital.

Great thread guys! emjoyable reading!