If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

TK Grueller Match 8 - time to take STOCK of things

Post your Cashmores Results and Match Reports here.

Moderators: MrV, kod

TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

After the icy blast that had gripped the nation, temperatures had risen considerably in the week leading up to this latest scheduled grueller. In fact it had been almost tee shirt and shorts weather with temperatures hitting 12c with overnight lows of only 7 or 8c.  Image

This grueller certainly promised be an action packed match as those starving shoals of skimmers and roach were bound to get their heads down on the offerings to be presented to them by the anglers up for this.............wouldn’t  they?  ::)

Only problem was a dramatic overnight change in the weather – it was down to -3c and the car was white over and the grass ‘crunchy’ as I ventured out into the garage to get me boots and nets  Image Image Image

Heinzer was back in tow after his recent op on his hand and picked me up as scheduled.  Image As we arrived there were plenty on gruellerites already parked up. There had been some concern as to what condition and colour the cut would be in after the infux of snow water  :-/.........would it be that sh!tty horrible slatey grey colour? :( 

But a quick glance through the fence appeared to allay any fears – it looked aok. Image

Off I trotted with Heinzer to peg out and was greeted by Mike E who’d been traipsing the banks from some ungodly hour who reported that fish were topping. Image  And sure enough........they were. :o  ‘Migrating the section’ quipped someone, ‘cuss they know we’ve turned up’  Image

I secretly fancied pegging (and fishing) the boatyard, dependent on colour, if it wasn’t gin. Didnt appear gin as we wandered down the towpath and the odd light colour stone dropped in the margins went out of sight after they had sunk a foot or so.  Image

But there was one problem – it was still literally freezing down there with a biting northerly wind that cut you in half.  :'(  So with 21 or possibly 22 expected we decided just to put one section of 7 in that pound – two thirds of the field would at least find it a little more comfortable and sheltered  in the middle section which at that stage was like a mill pond.  Image

Pegs 8 to 18 went in from the new road bridge to the end of Grove marina with 4 pegs going in past the ‘broken bridge’.

So where did I wanna be today? I fully expected today’s winner to either come from the boatyard or pegs 17 (the middle of the marina) onwards.  Just didn’t want to really draw 13 to 16  Image – decent summer pegs but haven’t shown a lot of form on our gruellers.    

Draw time and the ‘flyers’ were soon claimed and I ended up with last peg in the bag – or should I say hat – which was 14 – cock on where I didn’t wanna be,  :( but at least a short walk.  :D

For company I’d got PhilB on 13 and the Extension and Grueller ‘form horse’, Tavern Champ to my right on 15.  Image 

With us deciding to pay 3 ‘money back’ sections of 7 as well as the usual 3 framers, I surveyed the territory and ‘advised’ Tavern Champ that I was the wrong end of our section  Image to stand a chance today, and he was the wrong end of his section............ 

As I said earlier my peg for the day is a decent summer peg – there’s the sedges across where that 31lb’er came out from – remember, the one that sprouted legs and wandered off to a local commie. Image  There was also decent cover across to my right...........although that ‘cover’ is a tad bare at this time of the year with all the leaves off the overhanging branches.

In fact because of those overhanging branches, any boat traffic is ‘forced across’ to the towpath, leaving the ‘track’ close in at 4/5 mtrs, shelving up very steeply at 6/7 mtrs where I could only find just over 2 ft of water...........a tad shallower than I really wanted for my ‘primary’ punch lines.......... but I was restricted to that as I also wanted to fish a chop worm line away in the deeper water at 5 mtrs.

Across on the sedges and to the overhanging trees I’d got 18inches which would be squatt lines........wasnt sure whether they would produce with that overnight frost, may do later I thought  if it ‘warmed up’ as we set up in bright sunlight with not a cloud in the sky

If those squatt lines didn’t produce, it wouldn’t matter anyway. I’d spent an hour in the garden the day earlier collected some lobbies and red worms. Those coupled with a pre match lesson in feeding the chop off Keef had raised my confidence to such a degree that I was gunna empty it of all the kinver tigers in the area which would be enough to win without those squatt fish....... ::)

To be continued........      
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

any photo's
chief
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

The off. Lines primed and a first look on the punch to snare a quick 2 to 3lb skimmers before emptying it of all those kinvers.
30 seconds passed and the float was stationary........ Image

1 minute passed and still it hadn’t moved Image Image

Couldn’t believe this, two minutes in and the float hadn’t dived under. Image

I looked to my left and saw The Tavern Champ swinging one in

‘How many you got?’ I asked

That’s no 3.....

5 minutes later down the towpath – somewhere near keef - I saw someone netting one but I couldn’t buy a bite Image

After 20 bite less minutes Image it was time for a look on the chop in case any kinvers were hovering up my offerings. Image

But nope they weren’t :'( No amount of twitching, dragging resulted in owt Image

I could see Tavern Champ wheedling out fish periodically on the punch and then it was the turn of Phil B to my right to ‘twist the knife in’ Image First he netted skimmer no 1, which was shortly followed by nos 2 and 3. Image Image

Tavern Champ netted a skimmer too. I was like a piece of haddock, being battered both sides Image

It was 40 minutes – and back on the punch – before I managed to avoid the dreaded DNW. Image The float dipped on punch line no2 and I lifted expecting the lackie to come out with the resistance of OBI no 1.............but it didn’t as I swung in a micro silver :( – how it managed to get that punch in its mouth I don’t know – it would have struggled to register a dram on the beamies. :D

Nowt followed until the fish magnet who go’s by the name of Snowie wandered down the towpath.......as the float dipped for a second time and fish no2 followed Image

The fish magnet wandered off and repeated his skill as he chatted to a few other gruellerites

Scratting around, a few more micro roach put in an appearance but I was miles behind The T C and Phil B and could also see Blues4eva and Tricast 62 having a few in the distance
Phil B turned the knife in a bit deeper with another skimmer.

Then out of the blue on the 2hour and 5min mark and a move back to punch line no 1 which had been re-fed saw OBI no 1 put in an appearance for yours truly. Image 10 mins later no 2 snottie showed up...........I just needed another 8 of ‘em to catch everyone up. Image

Meanwhile the wind which was quite evident down the boatyard picked up and cut into you – dunno what the chill factor was but it was bloody cold. In fact poor old Zorro, down on the boats was dithering cuss he’d forgot his boots and bib and brace. The final straw came for him half way through when he bust his glasses, losing the lens from ‘em in the grass so he decided to call it a day – the first time in 50 odd years of match fishing

I scratted a few more small silvers out whilst Phil B went further ahead with skimmers no 5 & 6, whilst the Tavern Champ was now having silvers on pinkie over his punch line.

Try as I might Icouldnt snare one of those 8 OBI’s I wanted :'( and with a lull in proceedings with an hour to go, decided it was time to get the camera out and take a few pictures to please Joffie........ Image

To be continued.....
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Took the camera out, switched it on and it flashed green at me a few times before the red light came on indicating the batteries were dead. Image

No probs, got me spare batteries with me so I swapped ‘em over. Switched it on again and it flashed green at me a few times before the red light came on again. They were dead too – so sorry Joffie no pickies this week Image

The last hour was pretty uneventful too apart from The Milky Bar Kid coming past all packed up and heading for home. He advised that Tricast62 was having a bite a chuck on punch with small silvers and must had got 3 to 4 lb. :o So it was a relief to hear PhilB blow up and shortly afterwards Mike E and Choppy Master trotted up the towpath with the beamies to start the weighing in........

And this was what they recorded Image

PEG
21 COTTI 1.7.5 Double default section winner
20 BIG BAZ DNW
19 OBI DNW
18 JOSH DNW
17 TRICAST62 1.13.0 2nd
16 BLUES4EVA 1.5.0
15 TAVERN CHAMP 1.12.2 3rd

14 TK 1.9.6 Default section winner
13 PHIL B 1.15.7 1st
12 BULLAH 0.9.12
11 KEEF 0.9.12
10 CHOPPY MASTER 1.4.12
9 THE SHARK DNW
8 MIKE E DNW

7 HEINZER 0.13.1
6 BIG COL 0.14.12
5 MRV 0.7.4
4 TREVOR B 0.2.0
3 ZORRO DNW
2 NAZA DNW
1 TONY F 1.10.9 Section winner

So the weights hadn’t materialised from the supposed ‘favoured’ areas after all .......TK and Blues4eva had been battered both sides :'( with Phil B emerging a popular victor Image – nice one Phil Image Image
TrevorBeckett
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG
Personal Text: when that float dips - take off a number 8
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores Match Group & Spread Eagle A A

Unread post by TrevorBeckett »

TK , another excellent write up and congratulations to Phil on his win

Notes to :
1) Tricast - check bait before setting off
2) TK - buy more batteries
3) Self - try to catch more fish
Trevor B
Enthusiastic but not always efficient
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

Unread post by MrV »

5 bites......5 fish for 7 oz, an Arctic blast that had me glad I had put all my winter gear in the van. The bloke living in the boat opposite is either very quick on his feet, or has twin/triplet brothers  Image Every 2 seconds, he appeared at a different bloody window. If he was on his own he must have walked at least a mile up and down the boat during the match  :o :o :o. Well done Phil B, reward for your efforts this winter mate  Image Image. Can't believe people have the audacity to get "battered" either side, and still collect their section money.........it should be donated to some elderly charity........oops, forgot, it is already....you keep it TK  Image Image Image Image
wagnmag

Unread post by wagnmag »

Great stuff lads .Although a really tough match I am sure every bite was earned and still enjoyable and a sense of satisfaction weighing in 1lb plus.
I do admire thus very accurate weigh figures and love all that sense of accuracy.
Down here south of Watford Gap we are not used to such good scales and 'beam' i assume.
We make do set salters and 4drm smallest..aahhh.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Aye we still use the beamies on the cuts 'up here' WOC Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

5 minutes later down the towpath – somewhere near keef - I saw someone netting one

Just looking back at the weights down that end, was it someone netting a bait box lid :D
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Ps - forgot to add

Thanks to the guys who've bought a 2013 annual permit off me over the last couple of matches - much appreciated guys as it helps pay the cut rent & insurance - cheers and hope you all have plenty of tugs down there when it warms up a bit Image Image
TRICAST62
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by TRICAST62 »

brill report as per boss Image. note now stuck t fridge trev ta lad  Image Image
Blues
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores

Unread post by Blues »

TK and Blues4eva had been battered both sides     

Thanks for reminding me  Image Image my motto for the next one is   must do better
Maybe MrV, Obi and Keef should make it there's as well  Image Image

Great report TK  as usual Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Cracking report, I like to wait and read the lot Image
Good to see the Grueller Series is still going strong with banter, numbers and Lack of fish Image :D Image
Obi
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG
Personal Text: At least I turn up & try !!

Unread post by Obi »

Maybe MrV, Obi  and Keef should make it there's as well 
i did managed to nab a couple...that small they floated of in the breeze Image Image

they were topping every where when i got to my peg and whilst setting up...as soon as all in went ..that was it ..crappity smack all Image Image

bring back 4 inches of ice....i always catch then Image Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Despite the DNWs, think there was only one genuine dry 'un on our match....... from what I've heard there were a quite a few who 'joined the club' over last weekend ;)
Josh1337
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by Josh1337 »

I had through my fish back.. 4 micro roach and a strong wind in the face all day! Image
Obi
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG
Personal Text: At least I turn up & try !!

Unread post by Obi »

Joined the club....i been in for the past 40 years Image Image