If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

got my first ever match end of march

Upcoming Match Information and Venue Advice Here.
gale
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by gale »

im fishing in a in club match for my little charity club that i fish with on a few different venues down south here a few are on commercials Image
and another few on the little farm dyke where the charity is based so just wanna know how you guys would approach a very rarely fished dyke with roach, rudd, tench eels and few carp ( some of which are on the rather large side from ). i only ask this as every one seems to fish pellet and meat im looking for a small edge thats all let me in on ya secrets Image

thanks
SAS_Angling

Unread post by SAS_Angling »

Hi Gale, Well the weather in March will hopefully be a bit better so pellet and corn might play a bit part but don't forget that worms, casters and maggots will catch you everything. Truth is, the temperatures are up and down at the moment so this makes it difficult when choosing baits. Try and get some info on the venue try and get down and practice if you can or just have a walk around and ask anglers what they are catching on. Once you have found out what bait to use don't get carried away with feeding loads, this can be the kiss of death at this time of year, sometime we can get carried away cupping in loads of bait once the sun starts to shine!!

Hope this helps
gale
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by gale »

thanks for that S-A-S yeah its hard to get info cuz the people in the match are all the members of the charity so its all tight lipped and as the newbie there its a bit tight to get anything outta them. im not worried about the ones on the commercials as i just gonna keep yankin them out with my net i think is a good tactic lol but ive only ever had a chance to fish the small farm dyke once before and fishing for roach and rudd i managed to catch 5 small roach and 1 carp of 17lb (which as u can imagine was great fun on a top 3 and a size 4s vespe pro fluro elastic with 4lb line to a 2lb hooklength lol)
never really fished hemp as a hook bait but i know a fair amount get fed in this place but seems to be up one end that you hear of the results the other end doesnt seem to get fished much but they have said that this is the end the pegging will start from this year so its all pretty up in the air for us all
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by Drynet »

Good luck Image
gale
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by gale »

thanks buddy Image
Bullah
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by Bullah »

Gale, might I suggest the use of bread, its very often underated, but can be a winner, suits all teh fish mentioned, and fished over hemp, or micro pellet, can be devestating, large punches, or, should you be lucky enough to sourcve some, drennan flake punches are good... failing that, pinch a piece of fresh bred, the size of a 2p, place your hook in it, and squeeze the bread around the shank of your hook..... dont forget to let us know how you get on, and best wishes :-)
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Well Gale seeing as your in Kent why dont you tell us the names of the venues you will be fishing and Im sure some of us Marsh AC lads can give you some pointers.
gale
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by gale »

well the farm is called holm place farm but its always been a small members charity thing

then the commercials are lavender farm which i have been told has a very good reputation of being very unchallenging

2nd is bax farm which i already fished once or twice carping behind the buzzers as a kid and i got a big secret that i have tried and tested on the pole on a red hot day which worked well.

and then the other is stonnes on the isle of sheppey which is local and regualrly fished by myself before i got more into the pole/match fishing part so not too concered about that one, also know alot of the week in week out match men down there so can always asked what worked on the day before in there match as they fish the saturday and we are fishing the sunday so could have a inside line there too

and yeah i will let you know also if any one can help the guy who is running all the matches is doing the ones on our home turf as a mini league with 6 matches and doing it on points not weight. dont really understand how points scoring works , so if someone could dumb it down a few times so maybe a simple sheppey-ite can understand it i would appreciate it ta.
gale
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by gale »

Well first match come and gone and had a massive empty keepnet. Reason for this I left my maggots at home for one, left my fine roach tackle at home as I was told it was a commercial carp fishery ( not that it had more silvers than carp and anything over 4lb line was like Bright blue rope.) the end weigh was only 9lb 2oz and all my side of the lake struggled so I don't feel too bad

Oh and what don't help is settin the clock an hour forward then it changes automatically in top so I didn't sit down there an hour earlier than anyone else Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

lots of dry nets this weekend gale perhaps a little more homework on the venue could and would of turnrd it around a little a few phone calls to the venue and always take most of your tackle as you just never know
but the main thing is its your first match and have already learned a great deal i'm sure the second match will be better Image Image Image
ps always make a point of talking to the lads that have done well ;) ;)
gale
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by gale »

Yeah I did learn a lot and the guys who did well ccouldnt believe they done well as they wernt fishing much different to me just they was shaded more when the sun eventually did turn up.

But yeah good deal learnt and I know what you mean about homework but everything I read for the places screams pellets etc so that's how I went. I couldn't even get a roach or Rudd on punch bread. But as for the next venue I know it a lot better and feel a lot more confident. But as we all say live and learn
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

as long as you come away from a competition having leart something you doing nothing wrong Image Imagekeep your chin up and it will all come right on the day ;) ;)