If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Changes ??????

Marsh Club Banter.

Moderator: Spamwham

keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Changes ??????

Unread post by keith »

Fellow Marsh AC members,

I was just thinking about any ways we could change the way the pools are paid out on the matches. I know we do NOT fish Marsh matches for monetary gain(I know it costs me a lot more to fish than I would gain)and a lot of members are on a pension so I am NOT thinking of increasing the pools on the matches.

Thought number 1

A couple of thoughts were only having two sections paying out a max of £10 per section. The balance going towards a golden peg which is drawn out at the end of the match by the winner, if not drawn it rolls over to a max of £20?25 when an additional peg is drawn is out making two chances. If still not drawn at £40/45 a third peg is drawn and so on until it is won. If the pot gets to the stage where there is more money in the pot than anglers would normally pay in, then no one would pay peg fees and pools for the next match. Then starts again.

Thought number 2

A Knock-Out competition starting in week Two until there is a winner. The reason week two is that a lot of anglers do not go on the forum and we can speak to them on the first match.Still changing the sections to paying out 2 sections, but the balance going towards the Knock-Out competition. Based on 16 anglers in the competition it should take about 5 matches to complete.

Thought number 3

A Pairs competition to run for the remainder of the season after the Knock Out Competition. This can be blind pairs matches, so you do not know your partner until the last match where all will be revealed before you start fishing. Based on combined weight from previous qualifying matches and the last match. Dependant on how much is in the kitty Winners and Runners Up could be paid out

Before anyone thinks I am trying to do this for personal gain I must say that I will not be fishing all the Marsh Matches this year due to fishing festivals at Stafford Moor and Viaduct Fisheries, so will be probably not be in a position to get to any of the finals. But I would still compete.

These are my thoughts but I am one among many, Please discuss and let me know what you think.
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
Spamwham
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Changes ??????

Unread post by Spamwham »

Keith - its good to put up different ideas.
Just reminding myself what I believe the key principles of the current pools system are:
1. Small optional pools fee
2. Section prizes with small sections to spread winnings over more rather than fewer people - so everyone is in with a chance and can 'have their day'.
3. Something simple to operate which can be done and dusted on the day.
and of course
4. Something that will pay for the chairmans cruises ;D

Seriously though, my personal view is the current system does its job pretty well, and they do say if it aint broke dont fix it.
That said there's always room for improvement especially if it adds a bit of extra interest for everyone.
Maybe we could consider an additional £1 for a golden peg; or prize for the best fish etc.
Extra contests that run through all/part of the season, like pairs and so on could run anyway - they dont need funds to make them work, just someone to do the admin.
Thats my personal view but ultimately we should go with what members want.
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Changes ??????

Unread post by keith »

Tony - Thank you for your view.

I agree that the competitions do not need funding and can be run as a separate entity providing someone is prepared to " do the admin". The current system is perfectly fine with me, but does after a few matches become stale with nothing really to fish for. Even the league results have not been published for last year yet.
I was only trying to keep some interest in the club matches throughout the whole season, giving people additional reasons to want to fish. Be it, not letting down a pairs partner or trying to beat someone on a one to one basis.
I have not mentioned increasing the pools to cover any additional events as I agree with you on point 1, it is what keeps the club friendly. Point 2 is everyone is still in with a chance and can have their day even if it was in combination of a pair, an additional chance. Something simple to operate, is a little harder as it depends on what the members want but a lot can be done on the day with a pairs draw before a match and simply adding the weights together to get the result.
Point 4 is something that I do not think we should comment on :thumsup but the chairman assures us the cruises are paid for from his section wins each year. A good year sees him off to the Caribbean, a poor year the Regents canal.

Looking forward to this years series, some new venues for me, as I missed a few last year and if there is no change I am still proud to be member of Marsh AC. See you all on Saturday.
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish