If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Rolfs, Talk Angling Match.

Share your Match Results or Fishing Stories Here.

Moderator: bill yards

Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Fished Rolf's again today and it was quite a different story to my last match down there.
It was very slow going today, shallow was not working and the margin never kicked off till 45 mins from the end of the match.
I weighed 68lb summat and was second in my section. Clive won our section with 71lb something, well done Clive Image

I had the pleasure of watching someone catch their biggest match weight though......
Well done MUGGER Image Image I can't actually remember the weight :-[ I think it was 168lb Image Image

I was using my new Maver 401 today thats why I didnt catch so well Image Image Image
But I will say its a cracking bit of kit and handled the crazy Rolf's carp very nicely, just wish I had a few more to really test it.
I has a 12lb'er with it and got his in ok Image Image
Will put some pictures up later too.

WELL Done again Mugger and Clive Image Image
JJ_Gallagher
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by JJ_Gallagher »

well done all the same you can't have a double ton every week :D
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Bad luck Simple. I did think that they should have fished it later, I didnt have a fish til 3.30 on the last Jinx and a 4 o'clock finish for you didnt help.

Mugger was so disappointed to see you struggling, he didnt laugh when I rang and told him Honest.
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

He fished well today on what I thought was a hard day.
He can laugh all he wants. He deserved it today :D
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

It doesnt quite sound right saying "It was a very hard day today, I only had 68lb" but thats Rolfs for you.
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

True Dave. Me and Mugger were talking about that. I would struggle to get that round here but there its only 7-10 fish. :D
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Unread post by Mugger »

One of those days today Simple, have to say the new pole looked fine in action, even if there seemed to be rather a lot of hydro coming out of the topkits. :o
Good to see you bank runner in attendance again today. :)

[center]Image[/center]

I was expecting to 'mug' a couple of fish early on the feeder and then have to go onto the pole line, but nobody seemed to be having a lot of joy on the pole and as I was catching regularly so just stayed on the feeder all day.
We definately fished to early and that had a big effect today. >:(

Anyway here's the results.......
[center]Image[/center]
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

Fine tuning required with the lacky for sure mate :D Image

Good to see everyone weighed in Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Re: Rolfs, Talk Angling Match.

Unread post by Mugger »

TalkAngling.co.uk Forum Match.

I was lucky enough to get my name down for this match when it was posted on the TalkAngling forum back in January by Ian Hornby as i really enjoy visiting Rolf's whenever I get the chance. ;)

Pulling back the curtains a grey day with rain greeted me, and to think that today was the longest day  :( !!!!!! Anyway car loaded in good time along with the waterproofs and off. With my usual stop in Battersea for a spot of brekkie I made good time with a trouble free trip down, pulling into the car park at around 8·30am. There were a few of the usual faces from the lads that fish The Jinx Series there, though Malc himself couldn't make it as his pile of junk Rover had expired on the roadside the previous day Image but it was good to catch up with the TalkAngling lads, some of whom I'd met previously and some who were new faces.

9am and draw time. Into the bag and peg 24 appeared in my hand  Image!!! A bonus for me as it's on the car park bank, somewhere I rarely get a sniff of and has a bit of form. No barrow today, just a nice short walk. :) With a grey cloudy sky and rain still falling it looked like it would be a bit of a grueller  :(, especially as we were fishing from 11am - 4pm which is earlier than most of the summer matches at Rolf's that are normally fished from 2pm - 7pm as the Carp don't seem to get their heads down till around 3pm.

Anyway I set the pole up with just 1 shallow rig and a margin rig to tackle the bush to my right. I also set up the pellet waggler and the feeder as a back up because I could see Carp topping over the bar at around 20yds, so hopefully I could mug a couple of fish early before they backed off  ;). Feed was simply the fishery 6mm pellets and plenty of them, with some of them damped down and mixed with a good helping of hemp to put through the feeder. Hookbaits were the fishery 8mm hard feed pellets that would be fished banded on a hair.

So 11am and the All-in. 2 big handfuls of pellet fed by the bush to my right and a couple of pouchfulls out to the bar closely followed by the pellet waggler. Another pouchfull and the line tightened up and I was into my first fish of the day and after a spirited fight I had my first fish of the day, a nice Common of around 7lbs safely in the net  :).
However try as i might I couldn't tempt a 2nd and I'd noticed that Dave(Yorkie)Moore..........

........opposite on peg 16 had managed a quick couple of fish on the feeder, so I swapped over to mine and was rewarded with a couple of quick fish including a weigher  Image.

Now normally the feeder line doesn't last, but I continued to get the odd fish . Looking down the car park bank most appeared to be struggling on the pole line, but at least the rain had stopped.

On the other side of the bush to my right on peg 23 I had Steve Wilson for company...........

.........he was fishing the pole shallow, but was being pestered by Roach that seemed to be beating the Carp to his bait  >:(.

Clive had dawn one of his favorite pegs, 19 but appeared to be really struggling to tempt a fish  :( .........

As did Ron next to him on peg 20 ............

Simple Simon over on peg 14 had brought along his personal bank runner and sherpa Sprucey for moral support   :D and was giving his new Maver 401 it's first outing. Having won his last match at Rolf's with a cracking 221lbs 12ozs he was hoping for a repeat performance, but the Lake seemed determined to teach him a lesson today  Image ..........

....... However he did have the enjoyment of seeing my feeder rod with a good bend in it at regular intervals and Sprucey was counting my fish and giving him regular updates   :D Image.

Around 3pm things started to pick up for most of the lads that had persevered with the pole , but as I was still getting fish on the feeder I stuck with it till the end. 4pm and the all out and with 5 weigher's and 22 fish in the nets I was pretty happy with my match and was quite looking forward to the weigh-in  ;).

However there was a short wait for the weigh-in, the reason being that John Bennett has acquired a LARGE piece of stone for the entrance of the fishery and needed a hand to get it in place. Well with the help of Simple Simon's car.........

...... a chain, several scaffold poles it was finally in place, and very impressive it looks too  Image.

So on with the weigh-in with Pole Killer setting an early benchmark with 94lbs from peg 34, that soon being topped by Justin Case on peg 36 with a fine 150¾lbs. Some real interest came at peg 38 however where Mrs Sumo (sue) who's starting to make a habit of beating her husband Sumo   :D . Sue's fish weighed 41½lb and Sumo was looking glum  :(. Round to peg 7 where First Peg had taken full advantage of a very good peg (especially with pegs 6&8 not in) to take 1st place on the day with an excellent 193lbs  Image. Clive on 19 had finally managed a few in the last hour to take the section with 71lbs 10ozs  :). Round to Sumo on peg 22 where despite a couple of weigher's on the board he could only muster 37½lbs allowing Sue to take the bragging rights on the day  :'(.
Round to my peg and my 27 fish gave me a pleasing 161¾lbs for 2nd on the day and a new PB match weight  Image.

So all in all a good day. Thanks to Ian H for organising the day, and to all those that attended. We'll have to do it all again, though perhaps we can fish it from 2-7 next time. ;)

Last edited by Mugger on September 1st, 2015, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by Drynet »

Nice report & photo's Mugger Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

As usual, top report mate  Image Image
Amazing how that stone looks a lot lighter in the picture  Image :D

Well done on the PB too  Image Image[reason]typo hehe[/reason]
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

Cheers Si. Image

Have you got any photo's of the day?
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

Have you got any photo's of the day?
Yes but having technical problems getting them off Sprucey.
He madder on the camera that you btw Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

Come on then Sprucey, sort them out. Image
Gem
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by Gem »

Fab report Peter Image

Congrats on your new PB!! :D Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Good reports and looks like you had a decent day - well done on the PB too Mugger Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

Thanks Gem and TK. Image
Yes but having technical problems getting them off Sprucey.
He madder on the camera that you btw Image 

I know what you mean Si, kept seeing the flash going off all match, Tell Sprucey to extract his digit and get them photo's up. :D