If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Jinx Match 2 Rolfs Lake Oxford, June 7th

Share your Match Results or Fishing Stories Here.

Moderator: bill yards

Gem
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by Gem »

After hearing about the flooding at Rolfs it was arranged that Dai & Mitch would kindly pick us up Friday afternoon to go and help John & Pauline get as many fish as possible the right side of the wire fenceing behind pegs 19 & 20.

Upon arriveing it was time to get nuckle down. ;)

After numerous carp being caught John was delighted to see a goldfish! There had been talk of a goldfish but we all went 'nahhhh!' :o

But.... there wasnt just 1 goldfish, there was 3 seen! 2 of them got caught and put into a bucket the other got away. After another go of scoopeing the fish out we returned to the bucket to find only 1 goldfish, the other had dissapeared! :o

1 goldfish :)

Tons of spawn along the grass and on the posts, they had sure been busy!

After huddleing around Dais tent and chatting for a few hours i retired to bed at just gone 12am.

I woke up at 6am ish and felt something on my head. I moved my hair around and felt sore, a wasp was tangled in my hair and decided to sting me on my head and my finger too! ::)

After a quick half asleep call to dad to see where he was, he kindly got rid of the wasp whilst being big and brave- he hates them! and put some tcp on stings. First time ive been stung and it wernt half sore! :-[

What a start to the day i thought! Image

Dai kindly cooked us all bacon buttys for breakfast, and cuppa tea which went down a treat. Thankyou Dai :)

During the morning this was the scene on most pegs

After some confusion about what time the draw was (internet said one thing but dad was telling people another time!) ::) the jinx guys started arriving car after car.

The draw finally got under way, and fishing times moved to 1:30-6:30pm.

I drew Peg 38, last jinx match Ant had 200lb+ for 2nd off the same peg. Hmmmm i didnt think i was going to beat that!

I fished to and around the bushes on my left and set a line out 6mtrs infront of me.

After what seemed like a lifetime, it must of been well over an hour into the match. I caught my first carp of the day, the normal YESSSSSS escaped my mouth! Happy to of caught 1 carp. :D

After that i had 2 more smaller carp and 3 silvers in my net :-/ all were caught on meat. They were picking at the bait i tried (pellet/paste/corn/meat) and not takieng any of it proply. I couldnt suss out how to get them to have it. I tried varieing depths, bait. I couldnt work out what they wanted.

Looking towards pegs 7/8

I could see Slim & Simon both fishing shallow. Shallow fishing is not something im confident with so i dont try to do it, watching other people fishing shallow makes it look so easy! Image Thanks for the offers from Slim & Simon to have a lesson in shallow fishing next time, much apprieciated Image

I had a go shallow fishing (well my kind of shallow fishing!), useing the margin rig i lowered the float and done it that way, throwing a pinch of pellets all the time. Not quite how you do it but nevermind! I find it a struggle useing catapult, pole and strikeing etc at the same time! so i tried it my way and i hooked 2 carp, 1 i got in and 1 that i lost. Hopefully proper shallow fishing is something i can improve on Image

Through-out the match i had carp swimming around my peg, but would they come in?! NOPE!

After being exceedingly frustrated it was time for a 10min walk to Slim/Simon. It was a pleasure watching the both of them all day Image Well done both.

SimpleSimon and one of many played carp that brought him winner of the match

And Slim (Ade) another in the net to get him a very close 2nd place

I new i had blown out and would be returning the £1 coins! I weighed in 23lb i think and came last! Which meant no members were added to the Minxed Club! :-[ Oooops! Image

There is another 3 jinx matches left for this year and the MDs weekender, so hopefully things will pick up for me lol.

Well done to all of you on amazing weights! Image this cant be the jinx series can it?! Keep up the good work Image

After most anglers had gone home Jon (Hatcheye) unfortunatly lost his bunch of car keys Image after looking round the lakes edges we couldnt see them, maybe they fell in whilst weighing in nobody knows. John Bennett kindly took Jon to meet his wife half way home.

We got home at 12:30am, i was shattered and went straight to bed many thanks Dai & Mitch for the lift :)

See you all on July 5th :)

Gem
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

Top stuff Gem and great pics Image   Image

Not ideal preperations for a match getting stung on the bonce by a wasp .......ouch !!   hope you are ok    :-*     ;)

Simps is good at fishing shallow isnt he  ;)   Image  can see a team or two sniffing him soon    Image    Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Im sure gem will be putting up the full results later and no doubt Peter will also be doing one of his reports but in the meantime these were the brief results.

Individual Top 5

Simon Mound 221lb 12oz
Ade Williams 206lb 4oz
Roy Ravenhill 177lb
Malc Doyle 154lb 12oz
Paul Roberts 150lb 4oz

Lowest Section Winning Weight
118lb 12oz

100lb 12oz was only good enough for 14th

Total put on the scales was 2419lb by 21 anglers

And all that when the lake was still over 3ft up.....

I knew Simple was in for a great day when I took a walk round after 2 hours and he had had 5 weighers for about 55lb and another 11 fish in the net which would have given him over a ton with more than half the match to go.

As for my day I drew peg 30 which has the advantage of being the shortest walk from the end of the car park all of 5 yards. I had a bush either side but as the water was up so far you could only see the tops and who knows how many branches spreading out under the surface.

I decided to fish short and set up one topkit with a MW diamond at 5 metres straight out and one kit with a MW margin for a top 3 just on the edge of the bush. Well the first two hours were dire with just a few silvers managing to knick the meat bait off the hook. Thats when I decided to dump several handfuls of 6mm pellet in both margins and out and go for the walk.

When I came back things were a better as my first 3 chucks produced 3 fish for about 20lb all to meat hookbaits. Malc to my left had also had a blank first 2 hours but also started to catch.

Things just got better and better as the match progressed ending in 4 fish in the last 30 minutes for 30lb which I estimated would take me to around 120lb.

I was the fifth to weigh and the final total was 128lb which I was pleased with after my poor start.  Malc managed to get 154lb and the surprising thing was that I had 79lb of weighers without a 10lber while Malc had 89lb of weighers and most of his were 10 plus or just below.

Still my weight wasnt too bad and where did that put me after 6 had weighed?   5th!!!!!  Image Image.

The lake had fished surprisingly well considering all the extra water especially as most of us had expected a hard match. Roll on the next one. :)

I nearly forgot WELL DONE SIMON terrific weight.

But you still havent done a Jinx ton. ;) Image Image
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by Drynet »

Well done si Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

[move]Great result SS - well done  Image [/move]
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Thanks guys and girls. Image
It was a great match indeed and a close one too.
Will do a report in a bit when I have got all the pictures of my cameraman and coach for the day Sprucey Image :D
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

I fished the whole match using 4 10mm boiles and 3 bags of feed pellets :D
Fished at 10 meters and went out briefly to 11m. Really simple, like me.
This is the 6th time I have won with Sprucey behind me, he is a pure fish magnet Image

I got snapped clean on 0.21 and had another float trashed, completely smashed up. I had only made 3 shallow rigs up too.
Lost a few good fish also but had a great day.
Was good to meet up with everyone again Image

Here are some pictures Sprucey took, they are mainly of me sorry :D

http://yaleac.si-lad.com/gallery/main.p ... &g2_page=2
Gem
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by Gem »

Lol cheers dodge im ok now thanks  Image although i never thought id wake up to a wasp stinging me!  :o

Well done Si brilliant win and well done to it now be your new PB mach weight  Image

INDIVIDUAL RESULTS

1st..... Simon Mound......... 221lb 12oz..... Peg 2
2nd..... Ade Williams........ 206lb 4oz...... Peg 40
3rd..... Roy Ravenhill....... 177lb.......... Peg 28
4th..... Malc Doyle.......... 154lb 12oz..... Peg 32
5th..... Paul Roberts........ 150lb 4oz...... Peg 24
6th..... Kevin Loveland...... 136lb 8oz...... Peg 22
7th..... Dave Collier........ 128lb 4oz...... Peg 30
8th..... Mark Causer......... 126lb.......... Peg 35
9th..... Keith Fellows....... 122lb 8oz...... Peg 34
10th.... Clive Pritchard..... 121lb 12oz..... Peg 16
11th.... Colin Sharrad....... 118lb 12oz..... Peg 9
12th.... Tony Roberts........ 112lb 12oz..... Peg 6
13th.... Jon Hatch........... 110lb.......... Peg 7
14th.... Nick WIlliams....... 110lb 12oz..... Peg 15
15th.... Peter Morton........ 92lb 8oz....... Peg 14
16th.... Dai Thomas.......... 69lb 8oz....... Peg 4
17th.... Mitch Auger......... 69lb 4oz....... Peg 13
18th.... Antony Haywood...... 68lb 4oz....... Peg 23
19th.... Dave Moore.......... 61lb........... Peg 37
20th.... Tim (guest)......... 48lb 4oz....... Peg 8
21st.... Gemma Doyle......... 23lb........... Peg 38

TOTAL WEIGHT CAUGHT.......... 2419lb

Steve Wilson................. DNF
Nick- Watkins- Price......... DNF
Dirk Williams................ DNF
Ann Thomas................... DNF

SECTIONS ON THE DAY

A SECTION
1st..... Simon Mound...... 221lb 12oz
2nd..... Ade Williams..... 206lb 4oz
3rd..... Tony Roberts..... 112lb 12oz
4th..... Dai Thomas....... 69lb 8oz

TOTAL SECTION WEIGHT...... 610lb 4oz

B SECTION
1st..... Colin Sharrad..... 118lb 12oz
2nd..... Jon Hatch......... 110lb
3rd..... Nick Williams..... 100lb 12oz
4th..... Peter Morton...... 92lb 8oz
5th..... Mitch Auger....... 69lb 4oz
6th..... Tim (guest)....... 48lb 4oz

TOTAL SECTION WEIGHT....... 539lb 8oz

C SECTION
1st..... Roy Ravenhill...... 177lb
2nd..... Paul Roberts....... 150lb 4oz
3rd..... Kevin Loveland..... 136lb 8oz
4th..... Clive Pritchard.... 121lb 12oz
5th..... Antony Haywood..... 68lb 4oz

TOTAL SECTION WEIGHT........ 653lb 12oz

D SECTION
1st..... Malc Doyle......... 154lb 12oz
2nd..... Dave Collier....... 128lb 4oz
3rd..... Mark Causer........ 126lb
4th..... Keith Fellows...... 122lb 8oz
5th..... Dave Moore......... 61lb
6th..... Gemma Doyle........ 23lb

TOTAL SECTION WEIGHT........... 615lb 8oz

After 2 matches of 2008, the over-all points & weight to date are below, dont forget worst result gets dropped . The points are looking like this...

3 POINTS
Ade Williams........ 473lb
Colin Sharrad....... 265lb 8oz
Malc Doyle.......... 262lb 4oz

4 POINTS
Nick Williams....... 245lb 12oz
Dave Collier........ 261lb 12oz
Roy Ravenhill....... 248lb 4oz

5 POINTS
Tony Roberts........ 269lb 12oz
Paul Roberts........ 268lb 12oz

6 POINTS
Antony Haywood...... 297lb
Clive Pritchard..... 292lb 8oz
Mark Causer......... 200lb 8oz

7 POINTS
Gemma Doyle......... 172lb

8 POINTS
Peter Morton.......... 235lb 4oz
Simon Mound......... 221lb 12oz
Keith Fellows....... 178lb 4oz
Kevin Loveland...... 157lb 8oz
Jon Hatch........... 142lb 8oz

9 POINTS
Dai Thomas.......... 127lb 8oz

10 POINTS
Mitch Auger......... 124lb 8oz

11 POINTS
Dirk williams........ 94lb
Steve Wilson......... 57lb

12 POINTS
Dave Moore............ 61lb
Nick Watkins-Price.... 22lb 8oz

14 POINTS
Ann Thomas............ Not Fished

PAIRS RESULTS AFTER 2 MATCHES

Antony & Dave C... 36 points= 558lb 12oz
Nick & Colin...... 38 points= 511lb 4oz
Clive & Gemma..... 38 points= 464lb 8oz
Simon & Paul...... 41 points= 490lb 8oz
Malc & Dai........ 46 points= 389lb 12oz
Mark & Keith...... 47 points= 386lb 12oz
Ade & Nick WP..... 48 points= 495lb 8oz
Roy & Jon......... 49 points= 390lb 12oz
Peter & Kev....... 50 points= 392lb 12oz
Steve & Tony...... 57 points= 326lb 12oz
Dirk & Mitch...... 72 points= 218lb 8oz
Dave M & Ann...... 94 points= 61lb

I think thats all the paper work side of things done! Time for some chocolate  Im sure Dad will update the Jinx 100+ club etc over the next couple of days  

Well Done all

<EDITED> im a fool i missed Peter off the points list doh, sorry mate
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

<EDITED> im a fool i missed Peter off the points list doh, sorry mate
Leave him off. He is beating me in the battle for 8 points now  Image   :D
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

Well you are right but dont forget that you can drop the first match where you didnt turn up so really you are on 1 point along with 7 others. All you have to do now to win the series is equal Ades points in the next 3 and pull back over 253lb in weight. Easy nothing to it. :D ;)
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Unread post by Mugger »

Sunshine greeted me as I loaded the car up for the trip to Rolf's for the second match in the JINX SERIES. With plenty of time I was able to make my usual stop for Breakfast in Battersea. :)
While I was there I phoned Malc to find out the state of the fishery as I knew he'd been there since the previous day with Dai, Mitch & Gemma helping John after the flash floods that had hit the area on Wednesday. Telling me that the lake was high but fishable, he then passed on some information that Nick Williams was threatening to fish in his underpants if the lake was too flooded, suffice to say that it nearly put me off my breakfast  :o. However wiping the image from my mind that Malc had described I managed to polish off breakfast and carry on. :)

Pulling into the fishery car park at around 10·30am people were already arriving for the 11am draw. A chat with John revealed that at it's height the lake had been within 2 inches of overflowing into the car park. With 2 pumps running the effort that John & Pauline had put in along with his helpers had once again got it to a fishable state even if it was still at least 3 feet above normal.

[center]Image[/center]

Mind you just how the lake would fish on the day was open to debate though John felt that the huge influx of water into the lake and the fact that some of the fish were still spawning would lead to a hard match. :(

Inevitably the draw was delayed as Malc sorted out which pegs were fishable, but it wouldn't be a JINX match if it ran smoothly would it  :o !!!!!!!!!

Into the draw-bag and peg 14 stuck to my hand, quite a shock as I always seem to draw on the little lake. Loading up my barrow I set off round the lake and seeing everyone setting up so far up the bank was a bit strange.............

[center]Image[/center]

Anyway after lugging all my gear round I found that I had got Mitch to my right on 13 and Neo to my left on 15 along with Clive on 16 for company today. A quick chat with Clive who spends a fair bit of time at Rolf's reveals I'd got the end of the bar at around 20yds straight out, so I set up the pellet wag and feeder and plumb up a pole line at around 6mtrs where I could feed by hand to fish pellet and paste, though I also had sweetcorn and meat as change baits. Feed was the fisheries 6mm pellets and hemp.

[center]Image[/center]

So 1·30 and the all in, 2 big handfuls of pellet and hemp onto the 6mtr line and a pouch of pellet out to the bar followed by the pellet wag, and straight away it buries, softly softly into the net, a nice common around 6lbs  :), another pouch of a dozen pellets, into the keepnet with the fish, another dozen pellets followed by the wag which buries again and another common joins its pal in the net   :D . Well it slowed a bit after that, it seemed that there were a ton of silvers pecking at the pellet and I did connect with a couple of skimmers, I tried upping the feed but that just turned it into a jacuzzi  >:(. I kept altering the depth and managed another 3 carp, but in all honesty I wasted far to much time trying to make it work . With the swim still fizzing I went out with the feeder onto the bar, but had only had a couple of half hearted taps after about 20 minutes when the rod was ripped off the rest!!!!! This was a big old lump and it just plodded around stubbornly refusing to get its head up. Slowly I gained ground on it and it finally popped to the top, a bleedin great common, it was certainly the largest fish I've ever hooked at Rolf's, but just as I reached for the net it rolled on the line which parted like cotton. :'(

Now at that point I should have changed my approach as the lads on the car park bank had all started to catch, but I re-tackled and went back out on the feeder and wasted another 40 biteless minutes  :(.

Out onto the 6mtr line that I'd been feeding regularly and 1st put in the float buried resulting in carp number 6 in the net, then a couple of foul hookers that I parted company with followed.

Roy over on peg 28 was starting to motor taking decent fish regularly...........

[center]Image[/center]

Paul on 24 also seemed to be over his Rolf's block, and having got his Ton in the previous match was motoring on towards another  :) ............

[center]Image[/center]

While Dave C on peg 30 was also romping along after a slow start to the match  ;) ..........

[center]Image[/center]

I'd blown it after letting my frustration get the better of me and chopping and changing rather than sticking at one approach. With an hour to go I picked up the shallow rig with a banded pellet, shipped out to 13mtrs and just kept firing hemp & pellet at it and had my best hour of the match with another 7 carp including a weigher that I hooked as the all out was called ..........

[center]Image[/center]

It was to little to late though as I knew in my heart of hearts that I didn't have enough in the net to compete on the day.
The scales told the tale of the day however with their slow progress round the lake. Kevin Loveland had drawn the same peg as his previous match where he'd had a mare, however today he'd managed 136½lbs, his 1st match TON  Image. Paul had broken the 150lb barrier and Roy put 177lbs on the scales which would only be good enough for 3rd on the day  :o !!!!!!

Meanwhile down on peg 40 Ade Williams (Slim Shady) following up from his DOUBLE TON on the 1st match had managed a 2nd successive DOUBLE TON.........

[center]Image[/center]

but had still been beaten by Simon, fishing his 1st JINX match of the year he had a battle with Ade throughout the whole match............

[center]Image[/center]

.......Finally coming out on top with an excellent 221¾lb, a great performance on the day  Image.

My weight? 92½lb only good enough for 15th on the day, though I did have one small consolation in that at least I managed to get my £1 back from Gemma  :P :D .
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

Super report as always Peter  Image

I love the picture of DTF with his leg cocked in the air. New fish playing tactics Image Image

Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

Its the new Flamingo technique.  ;)

You plonker Simple Ive got one foot on the platform and one my footrest. :P I was just deciding if I should stand on my box for the extra height.
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

Are you doing the oke cokee their davec or playing a big carp Image

Image Image Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

or playing a big carp

No Dodge it was probably one of Rolfs smaller ones at around 9lb. I didnt get anything bigger than 9lb 12 on the day. Yet Malc on the next peg fishing the same bait and method had several over 10 and up to 13lb.

The same thing happened with Simple and Ade on the next peg. Si had 115lb of weighers with several over 10lb but Ade had only one 9lb weigher. Mind you although they both fished shallow I put that down to the different baits they used. Ade I heard was on the caster and maggot while Simple was using a secret larger bait feeding pellet :-X Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

:-X Image  

:D Image

And I only used 4 for the whole match  :o
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

Well if you only used 4 then you must have enough left to lend me some for the next match. ;) ::)
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

Iv'e only got 5 left so I will have to be careful Image :D
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

Thats 2 for me , 2 for Gem and one for you. ImageYou had better get some more as you have got another 6 days fishing down there. ;)