If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Billy Uptons "tortoise"

You know the score, Wind-up the other Members here.

Moderators: MrV, kod

Phil B
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Billy Uptons "tortoise"

Unread post by Phil B »

Some seasons ago, we fished a match on the Priest House water at Castle Donnington, A cracking trotting stretch on the middle Trent , with a good flow and depth, Ideal for the stick float.
At that time I regularly gave a lift to Vic Priest (club Secretary and a founder member) and his son Kevin.
We would fish the match, Kevin would sit and watch and fish for a while after the whistle.
On this occasion I was drawn in the next upstream peg to Billy Upton (club Chairman and also founder member)
Bill was good company, avuncular, but no Billy Lane or Ken Giles.
As the match progressed Bill became aware that while he was fishless I was taking small Chub and Roach from under a Hawthorn bush which bordered his swim.
Bill expressed an opinion that my middle name was Hartley and my beloved parents should be joined in matrimony at an early date.
After 3/4 hours a still fishless Bill shouted " you should see what I've got walking up my line, it's a Tortoise".
I sent Kevin to investigate. He reported that Bill had hooked, landed and boxed a Terrapin, about the size of a sandwich plate.
Come the weigh in Bill insisted that the said beast be weighed as in accordance club rules it has been caught on rod and line, stating that as club Chair he knew the rules better than anyone else. This of course caused some considerable amusement.
Someone asked "wot yow gunna doe wi it Bill". Bill after a few moments pensive thought replied "I'll doe sum tatters und sum paes"
More amusement ensued.
The next time I saw Bill he told me that he had sold the Terrapin to a nephew who ran a pet shop in Great Bridge, for £10.00. the creature was put up for sale for £17.50 .
Bill stated that but for the fact he had attended the wedding of said nephews parents he could have brought serious doubt to the lads birth status.
TrevorBeckett
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG
Personal Text: when that float dips - take off a number 8
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores Match Group & Spread Eagle A A

Re: Billy Uptons "tortoise"

Unread post by TrevorBeckett »

Phil , A lovely story and would make the centre piece of a Hollywood blockbuster - lets see if Mr Spielberg is a regular reader of the site ?

Trev

ps they catch terrapins out of stowe pool according to chappo
Trevor B
Enthusiastic but not always efficient
Biggcol
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Biggcol »

Brilliant Phil :thumsup I caught one of those bliters from a little pool down Bridgetown, fiesty little things.
Had a proper sharp beak on it. :thumsup
Phil B
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Phil B »

I recall another incident with Billy Upton.
Returning to the car park after a match at Hampton Loade. I observed Bill divesting himself of a Boiler Suit and revealing white shirt, tie. waist coat and blue pin striped trousers.
He had fished thus clad for a 5 hour match on very hot day. Plus walking backwards and forwards to his peg.
It transpired that he was to attend a wedding later that day and would not have had time to go home and change . So wishing not to upset his spouse he had arrived at this compromise,
What devotion to the sportt