If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Help With Some Local History...

Anyone can chat about anything non fishing related...
CuriousNick

Unread post by CuriousNick »

First up, apologies if I'm breaking any forum rules by doing this, I did use the 'Contact us' link to check with the site moderators if this was OK a few weeks back but I haven't heard anything back.

I am researching the history of my local area of Abbey Wood in South East London and a possible connection to someone who organised gigs and cultural happenings in this sleepy back-woods area in the early 70s has brought me to this chat-board. It appears that a journalist called John Carding may have been behind Abbey Wood's footnote in counter-culture history and after a search through Google I found (through an old post on here viewtopic.php?f=43&t=7998&p=96124 ) that a writer and angler of some note with the same name also lived nearby.

I am sensitive to the fact that the angler John Carding's story seems to have some tragedy attached but I was hoping to get any info from the good folks on here who knew John about whether the angler and the person who wrote for the International Times and arranged concerts at the Harrow Inn in Abbey Wood were one and the same man.

Thanks in advance and apologies again if I'm committing any faux-pas.

Regards

Nick
TrevorBeckett
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG
Personal Text: when that float dips - take off a number 8
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores Match Group & Spread Eagle A A

Re: Help With Some Local History...

Unread post by TrevorBeckett »

Nick , Nothing wrong with asking a question - I recall an Angling writer of that name but have no idea if its the same chap - just looked on EBAY and several of his books are still available there ( all second hand as out of print )

Seem to recall buying one of his books in the mid 70s , something like " match fishing to win " baught the book but have not won many matches since!

good luck with your research

Trevor
Trevor B
Enthusiastic but not always efficient
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

No problem Nick.

Must admit with some embarrassment :-[ that your initial enquiry was flagged up for me to respond....but it slipped my mind :-[ :-[ :-[

Personally I was only aware of JC's involvement in the angling world and was going to ask the question and provide your contact details to any member responding with any positive information

Hope your investigations on Simple Match Fishing are productive :thumsup
Mark Wintle
Match Team/ Club: Barclays Bank AA

Unread post by Mark Wintle »

John Carding the angling writer from Abbey Wood is indeed the same person who contributed to and eventually published International Times. He was active in angling writing circa 1973 to 1979. I can't remember when he committed suicide. He was very interested in big-time match fishing and also developments by French and Belgian anglers.
CuriousNick

Unread post by CuriousNick »

A very tardy 'thank you' to the replies above - I didn't think my post had appeared on here then I couldn't log in. Confirming that the 2 Johns are one and the same man has been very helpful.

Thank you again. If anyone reading this can post any further info about John Carding on this thread I'd be very grateful.