If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

SOAR VALLEY WINTER LEAGUE 2016

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

A MUST READ FOR EVERYONE TAKING PART IN THE 2016 ATs SVW WINTER LEAGUE !!
IT MIGHT SEEM EARLY TO BE TALKING ABOUT THE WINTER LEAGUE IT NEEDS SORTING

SOAR VALLEY WINTER LEAGUE 2016 WILL IT GO AHEAD?

Last year this popular league lost the organizing skills of Brian Hull after he stepped down following twenty-two years of organizing. Brian did everything from clearing swims, sorting scales, weigh sheets, team cards and peg numbers. There was plenty of other ‘behind the scenes’ work too including countless phone calls, sorting sections,parking and headquarters for the draws, after match results, followed by letting all manner of the media knowing the outcome of every match.There is also an added realistic fact to consider before the 2016 season even starts and that is owing to a very small minority of disruptive competitors we are waiting to hear if we can even use Loughborough Soar AS’s waters in the said year and beyond that.The Soar Valley Winter League is headed by the Angling Trust and after consultation a few changes will also have to be made for 2016. To be quite frank out of the 90 competitors last year a handful made it very difficult for the organizers both before and after the various rounds. If you add this the captain’s meetings, the AGM and dealing with social media we all ought to realize the organizers also have their own jobs to execute and the running of the Winter League is purely on a voluntary basis. Would you take time off work to help? That last point should be considered by all. The Angling Trust will play a bigger part in the say so of running all the various Winter Leagues all over the country, - I am sure they will let us know of these conditions in good time. We all know that you can’t please all 90 anglers at one time but more importantly we have and are
doing our very best to keep all 90 anglers on the bank; there is even a small contingency plan to encourage more youngsters in the pipeline.It should also be remembered that this is a TEAM competition, a branch of our beloved sport that appears to be diminishing year on year. Owing to Angling Trust increased involvement there will be no need for AGM’s but this will make any after/before match captains meeting of more significance. For the time being early planning is essential for the Soar Valley Winter League and provided we have the venues I would like to know the thoughts of other anglers on how they want this league to be run. There are a few examples listed, they are only suggestions, towards the end of this article. Having said that the top teams will always do well but without the other teams there would be no league for us all to fish so your opinions will be greatly valued and deeply considered. Probably 80% that fish the Winter League love it, mainly for the big match scenario and fishing with their mates in team competition. The fact is we want to cater for all anglers in this league regardless of age, illness or disability.Last year we were lucky insomuch that the river kept well within its banks but the surrounding land turned very boggy making access tracks very difficult especially on foot, – this urgently needs consideration. At times it was hard work for even the fittest of anglers to maul their kit in these conditions and it should not be forgotten that the league received various complaints from our normally very supportive landowners. We simply can not upset these people or none of us will have anywhere to fish on the river, let alone considering winter leagues. This is one big reason to study a few alternatives listed or come up with any other sensible suggestions not covered before. Another aspect that the organisers have to consider nowadays is one of safety as insurance is coming into match fishing more and more these days.All in all this may sound not to pretty a picture I have painted but they are the facts. The ‘suggestions’ are intended for each and every one of us fishing the league; we really should be looking at the future and keeping everyone on the banks enjoying their hobby for as long as humanly possible. If you do think of further suggestions bear in mind we do need to get ten sections in.
Sugg. 1) Fish the first three/four rounds on the river then the remainder on the canal.

Sugg.2) Fish five sections on the river and five on the canal. Team captains will have the final say on who fishes what venue in their respective team. This would be paid out as if it was two matches but the points would remain as they always have.

Sugg. 3) Fish all sections on the river, weather conditions permitting. In all cases if river conditions are deemed a danger to competitors, ALL anglers and not just the fittest, a decision will be made at 9am on the Saturday before the match. These sections will then be switched to the canal, – the decision will be irreversible.

PENDING DATES
Oct 2 WL Oct
9TH OCT Sensas Final in France
16TH OCT WL
23TH OCT WL
30TH OCT Soar Champs SUTTON
Nov 6TH WL
Nov 13THWL
Nov 19/20 River Fest FINAL
Nov 26TH WL final round
> Teams:
Starlets,
Quorn AS,
Matrix Dynamite Trentmen,
Wigston shimano AS,
Long Eaton fed
Bennetts Sensas pulled out
Leicester Drennan pulled out
Midland angling supplies
Loughborough Soar pulled out
Colmic Kegworth angling
(a total of seven at present).
Waters booked, pending:
Mountsorrel upstream of Waterside pub 2
proctors 2

Greens,
Deeps,2
Kegworth (all river sections).
Sutton to be comfirmed
Various sections of the GU Canal can be used if needed.
Nobody really likes change but please forward any suggestions, however trivial they may seem. Bear in mind if the conditions become really boggy, like last year, the landowners will keep their gates locked. Maybe it is time for a change to keep the league in existence, nobody likes losing competitions or the worst scenario, actual venues. Remember at the end of the day it is YOU the individual team members league and nobody elses.
Unfortunately since we have drafted this letter was have also lost the use of the top ponds as the landowner has sold the fields reducing us to having no parking in the fields .We are trying to make contact with the new landowners yet seemed to be very hard to locate after the removal of all pegs and signage from the water .
This year we will be having three Organizers running the league so we have a casting vote if needed the decisions made will be final
After loosing Brian hopefully he won't be far away and will drop in to see us
Myself Joff Woodgett
Brian Holmes and Martin Almen will be running the 2016 league all are very used to running competitions and some big changes will have to happen if we want to keep anglers of all ages on the banks fishing .
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

I've had a really good response to this topic already yet it still seems anglers are not happy putting there suggestion on a website something i would of liked to see myself . I've heard rumors again this is not the idea of this topic that a couple of teams might dropout which is fair play if they decide to do so but at least give some reasons why. On the other hand we have a couple of new teams that are waiting in the wings to see which way we decide to go whether its to introduce half and half as they struggle to get 10 river anglers yet have no trouble in getting five river and five canal . So at the moment it seems all rumors and nothing but tackle shop gossip yet team wise its still balanced . We do need something from all teams on the suggestions teams like Trentmen and Starlets have made it clear they want whatever keeps the anglers on the banks and enjoying the sport . Please write it down and post it so everyone can see this is the best league lets keep it that way .
Loughborough Soar have made it clear that there members come first the use of the Osier beds,Abbey and little meadow will reserved for members only
scotty85
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament
Personal Text: Redfin's forever
Match Team/ Club: Matrix Dynamite Trentmen

Unread post by scotty85 »

Afternoon Joff and all

Having fished the soar valley winter league on and off over my time team fishing, I can honestly say it's the best winter league around in my opinion, And I'm looking forward to fishing it again this season!
Regarding the format I really think that five on the river five on the canal would really spice things up! And allow the organiser to chose the best bits of the river and the best bits of the canal giving everybody (hopefully) a days fishing, and allowing the less mobile the choice of a canal towpath against fields and styles etc.
Either way I'm sure it will be fun :thumsup
Barrow21
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Old Townsender

Unread post by Barrow21 »

Just wondered if all the decisions/sections had now been dedicided?
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Sorry Barrow boy not yet must get on with it unfortunately my mum's not too well at the minute so it's taking the time to slot fishing in it will be on the river where we can get the pegs hopefully no long walks . top end of the deeps parking could be a problem as we have restricted park no more than 10 cars this is causing problems between pleasure and match anglers . :facepalm
Lickle Tinca

Unread post by Lickle Tinca »

Joff,

Any chance of the results or Info being put back on this site ref the winter league?
From a non face ache angler.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

OK mate give me a little time to get them on :thumsup