I have just updated the forum software with the lastest big release from the developer. This is a major version change with new features etc.
If you are having problems viewing the forum press and HOLD down the CONTROL key on your keyboard and press F5, it will force a reload and everything should be ok.. Thanks. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

CLOSE SEASON - good , bad ?

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
Botty
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Personal Text: Learn to fish - watch me !! ;)
Match Team/ Club: Sportsman A.A.

Unread post by Botty » May 1st, 2015, 8:56 am

Latest post of the previous page:

For what it's worth I thought I would add my comments.

When the close season was originally introduced it likely would have been a very good idea. At that time fish (of all species) were being caught and eaten. It follows that by preventing the taking of fish at this time it could be said that fish were being allowed time to spawn and as such increase the fish stocks - brilliant idea!

However, the current arguments for the retaining of the close season are now wearing thin. The suggestion that the fish need time to spawn has been proven incorrect - proven by the flourishing species in canals where 365 day fishing is allowed.

The suggestion that 'the banks need time to recover' is somewhat farcical. The floods, of which this country has had many over recent years do far more damage to river banks that a 100 years of fishing could ever do yet each Summer the banks return to their pristine condition! I think that's called nature?

A consideration that most people tend to overlook is the predation that takes place at this time of year - and I am not refering to natural predation! While there are no anglers on the bank policing their club waters I wonder how many fish are removed / stolen that find their way onto the dinner plate of people who are allowed to do this in the country from which they originated. (My attempt at being PC!). I am sick of being asked if I have caught any fish and when I reply yes (as I do sometimes catch something) being asked if I would give the fish to the person asking so that they can have their dinner on me!

One has to wonder if the fish stocks are thriving in Canals is in part due to anglers baits supplementing the natural food available during spawning times thus allowing fish to build up their reserves at a time when this is likely depleted due to the riggors of spawning etc.

I would totally agree that we do need to handle fish with care at this time but many of us do so anyway and one suggestion I would advocate is the banning of keep nets when pleasure fishing during March - June.

I am no-one. But I take the time to write many letters to enforcing bodies with suggestions as to why the close season should be abolished and to date not one single body has took the time to reply. A cut down version of one such letter has been published in the Anglers Mail this week.

I think that the close season will be lifted in the future but as common sense seems far from the thoughts of the powers that be it is unlikely to be in my lifetime.

Just stepping down from my soap box now............... :tiphat

Botty
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Personal Text: Learn to fish - watch me !! ;)
Match Team/ Club: Sportsman A.A.

Unread post by Botty » May 1st, 2015, 11:22 am

What is the facebook page listed as? :-?