If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Walsall winter league!! Back from the dead...

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
Superslick

Unread post by Superslick »

Right lads myself and matt Derry have been having a think lately about what fishing matches are around and by the looks of things people are starting to pull together and put a little more back into the fishing. 2 weeks ago we had some Bloodworm and joker left over from a fantastic league we have been fishing (SENSAS CANAL MASTERS) so instead of waisting it we decided to fish a stretch of canal that we had not been on in years which was the wyrley & Essington canal In walsall wood. I always remembered this stretch of canal to be a crystal clear, coal bottomed lovely piece of water just stuffed with every fish you could think of. Setting up we didn't see a single fish top which we thought was strange and all the fish no longer was in the canal for some strange reason. I decided on a straight forward approach of joker at 13m in 3ft of water straight in front of me and 2 worm and caster lines in 6ft of water down the track either side of me. Myself and matt both had the same plan of attack and started on the worm giving the joker time to settle, within 40seconds not having any bites I got bored and picked up my Bloodworm rig. Ship out to 13m I lowered my rig in and the float just didn't stop when it hit the surface 10oz roach on, this happened 3 times with dog roach before matt picked his Bloodworm rig up. We hammered this line for another 40minutes before we both decided to see if it was just the Bloodworm and joker that the roach loved. We decided to introduce some liquidised bread at 14.5m past our worm lines in 6ft of water and to cut a long story short it was solid with roach. This gave us some food for thought........ The Walsall winter league that used to run on this canal formerly known as one of the best matches to attend in the country with regular 150 peg turnouts could still possibly be ran on this canal and ITS FREE WATER. With good access/parking,concrete paths,no Boat traffic,not many pedestrians and excellent fishing. We was thinking of having it running along side the SENSAS CANAL MASTERS on the dates of 10th Jan 
24th Jan
7th feb
21st feb
6th march final 
. It would be a teams of 3 league with all money being paid out. If we could get 20 teams of 3, each individual paying £20 a match the section winners alone would be taking home around £70/£80.
There would be no silly rules on these matches and all I would ask is for people to look after the fish and enjoy there day going away with smiles. If we get enough interest in this event it will be ready to go for next winter. ANYBODY atall with advice or words of wisdom please feel free to comment because I am all ears! Thanks. Rikki Richards
TrevorBeckett
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG
Personal Text: when that float dips - take off a number 8
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores Match Group & Spread Eagle A A

Unread post by TrevorBeckett »

Rikki , I would express an interest as this stretch is local to me and does not get a lot of fishing , to my knowledge , do you mean the stretch from Walsall Wood bridge towards Black Cock Bridge ( Brownhills direction) ?

Parking might be an issue for a large turnout?

Trev
Trevor B
Enthusiastic but not always efficient
Superslick

You are more than welcome to come mate. It will be teams of 3, and there will be 20 pegs at the black cock bridge 20 pegs in Clayhanger and 20 pegs in Brownhills. Parking won't be an issue as there will be the black cock pub/the maybrook industrial est and Tesco.
Superslick

Walsall winter league
10th Jan 
24th Jan
7th feb
21st feb
13th march final 

Team
1st        £120
2nd     £90
3rd     £50
Individual 
1st       £120        
2nd     £90
3rd     £50       
Sections
1st       £80
2nd    £65
3rd    £55
Final 
Team 1st       £800
            2nd    £500
            3rd    £380
a_foster
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by a_foster »

rikki if no club or association have the fishing rights then the canal and river trust have the rights and i think they charge £5 a peg to book a match
it might pay you to have a word with kev p on here as he works for the canal trust
check this out https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and ... ers-scheme
Superslick

Cheers tone.
Blues
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores

Unread post by Blues »

Rikke
Great idea
However I do believe that the section that runs from coopers bridge in Clayhanger past Tescos bend then up towards Chasewater is controlled by Brownhills community .

I think your right in thinking the section either side of Blackcock is still free which extends all the way to Clayhanger up to the junction of Lindon Road

Hope this helps Gary
preecy
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by preecy »

Individual payouts wrong never been a match were 3rd individual gets less than a section winner unless you take section money as well
Top 4
Match Team/ Club: PROLINE

Unread post by Top 4 »

Rikki how did you finish up yesterday?? could you put me down for this League :thumsup will keep in touch over the coming months Let me no when you need names :tiphat
Cheers
kev p
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: maver midlands
Sponsor: maver

Unread post by kev p »

Sorry to put a dampner on things but if running proper matches you would have to pay crt for the pegs much cheaper to take on the water and i don't think you could run a match opposite the market in silver st i think local folks have it you need to speak to carl nickals
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

Rikki great idea sounds like a few things need sorting out if you can get that done as quick as you can . im sure it would work . i'm not a team player anymore so make sure you take on committed teams that won't let you down i've seen it too many times as a organizer . I'm not sure if these clash with the Welland and Glen but if not i will fish them as the site has had matches around there :thumsup
Superslick

Lads, nothing is set in stone at the minute but like I have said in the post I'm out to just give people a good day. The individual 3rd money is meant to be £55 and section 3rd £50. Joff they wouldn't let me down if they didnt come because the league would still go on but obv the payouts would change. Thanks for the advice keep it coming because I can't sort things out if I don't know anything about them. Cheers
gary atkins
Match Team/ Club: sportsman AA

Unread post by gary atkins »

we run opens on the Walsall canal (SPORTSMAN AA) we there every satuday we get around 22 every week we looking for more  fishermen its fishing good   (SORRY NO BLOOD WARM) :facepalm
Griffo

Unread post by Griffo »

keep me posted would be very interested :)