If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Winter fishing

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Winter fishing

Unread post by joffmiester »

Yesterday i headed towards the fens for the second round of the winter pairs run by wayne Swinscoe and his helpers . Now i can pick and choose where i go without worrying about the Team side of fishing i really was looking forward to this competition especially after last years . Although the journey there is straightforward the first two rounds have been the coldest i've fished with freezing fog ,black ice and snow . Sometimes it makes you wonder about fishing and traveling in these conditions but thats soon forgot when you arrive to a full English breakfast . The pairs league is run over two rivers the Town Welland and the River Glen both rivers are full of roach skimmers and big Perch at this time of year . The league is on weight so anything can happen and with winter fishing we all know how fish shoal up especially on the Welland . My partner in crime for the competition is Joe Roberts ,Joe has fished everywhere and done everything so there's no pressure . AS long as you choose which venue you want to fish before the draw you can fish either Joe and myself were going to take it in turns . After the first round Joe had finished 3rd on the Welland with 18lb and because it fished hard you really had to draw well. I decided that Joe's drawing arm is a lot better than mine so in round two i opted for the Glen again which seemed to be a smart move as Joe drew spot on . The Glen is a lot fairer as you are in a straight line and you can see most pegs so you know what you need to do . End pegs will always be favourable and even more so when they are taken up by Mark pollard and Rob Hewison :rage :rage
Polly was on the end peg this way :facepalm :facepalm

Rob Hewison was one below the road bridge this way :facepalm :facepalm

On these photo's the weather looks brilliant but i can tell you it was freezing your pole joints were freezing up if you laid them on the bank . Saying that as we arrived we could see fish topping on the whole length so the signs looked good .
I setup 1.5 float to a top 5 as it was pushing hard plus a gram and 0.6 just in case it slowed up . my plan was to run down the middle over G/B and pinkies while loose feeding casters under my feet where from time to time you can catch some massive Perch . when the match started i cupped 5 balls in the chap below me balled it which got me thinking but as it was my first real look at the place i feed safe . I had a cracking start as did most roach after roach with a few Dace and big Bleak mixed in . perhaps i should've balled it as it wasn't long before i was topping up this helped the peg every time . I notice the chap below me was catching but anything they looked a smaller stamp to mine . Half way through i thought my peg was starting to slow up so i plumbed up the bottom of the far shelf which turned out to be two inches shallower . so before my line died completely i fed 4 balls over there out the way and intended to leave them to settle . looking left and right everyone was catching yet the stamp seemed small than at the start . Time to try the caster under my feet ;) well i missed my first two bites thinking they tinyfish next thing i know 6oz roach then another then a 8oz roach although you had to wait the stamp was a different class . then disaster i hooked a branch right where i was catching and got it out needless to say i had to start the line up again . Still i had the far line and again i started with better fish but as the weather closed in it turned bitter cold with freezing fog . Spotting my float was hard enough so it was time to try the caster i put three more roach in the net before the final whistle went . It was dark and foggy so unfourtantly no catch shots but i have the weigh sheets for both venues . i ended up with 10lb 8oz which i thought i might have a little more but it was good enough for a section . mean while Joe had put together another weight of roach 16lb odd for 2nd place but more importantly we had put 27lb on to our total and a few quid shared :tiphat :tiphat
RIVER GLEN

TOWN WELLAND

joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Winter fishing

THE PAIRS LEAGUE STANDS

1ST LEE KLIMCZUK AND POLLY 57LB15OZ 8 DRMS
2ND MARK ROPER AND PAUL SPRIGGS 57LB 14OZ
3RD JOFF AND JOE ROBERTS 46LB 13OZ
4TH ROB HEWISON AND PETE WILLS 28LB 13OZ 
fin
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: hull

Winter fishing

Unread post by fin »

Great fishing and a great write-up Joff, well done pal. :thumsup
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Winter fishing

Unread post by Dodge »

Beltin write up and venue :thumsup :tiphat
Kennyb

Winter fishing

Unread post by Kennyb »

Hi Joff
Excellent write up
I cant believe the weights you guys are fishing for.
Us poor lads up North are happy to get a few bites this time of year.
Keep us all posted
Keep posting
Keep smiling
Kennyb ;)
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Winter fishing

Hi KennyB welcome to the site yes I fished the league for the first time last year and came nowhere with 23lb of roach 51lb won that match . Wayne can only have 4 matches a year in Jan and Feb mind you the fish do leave the areas we fish after feb anyway it's great to get bites all day ;)
Chris V
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Winter fishing

Unread post by Chris V »

Beltin write up and venue  :thumsup :tiphat

Just think how good the River Glen use to be with Bloodworm allowed.................crappity smack solid :thumsup :thumsup :thumsup
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Winter fishing

:whistle :whistle might suggest that to Wayne, Chris Image Image Image :facepalm :facepalm
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Winter fishing

Unread post by Dodge »

Beltin write up and venue  :thumsup :tiphat

Just think how good the River Glen use to be with Bloodworm allowed.................crappity smack solid :thumsup :thumsup :thumsup
I've got a bloodworm / joker match this weekend Chris , don't think it will be as good as the River Glen though :'( :D
Kennyb

Winter fishing

Unread post by Kennyb »

Hi Joff
Have you been back yet for the next round
Really enjoyed the photos and write up of the last round ?
Keep posting
Keep smiling
Kennyb